1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Kobe Bryant

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Driftwood, Jan 26, 2020.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Sam Kinison's car crash.

2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Magic announcement: I sat in front of Elizabeth Glazer, wife of the Mod Squad guy. She was the face of HIV fundraising and research. She started coughing and I felt a little uncomfortable.
    Hank Gathers: I covered that team and knew him pretty well. I was sitting courtside, 20 feet away. Coach Westhead ran onto the court, looked at me and said, "Chris, call 9-1-1." That night and the ensuing month were unbelieveable, biggest story of my career.
    Len Bias: Not a big connection, but I saw his last two games. They were at the Long Beach Arena in the NCAA Tournament. They beat Pepperdine and lost to Auburn. Pepperdine forward Anthony Frederick, who was matched up with Bias, said, "He is too good to talk as much as he does."

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Like garbage talking?

4. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

It’s not just the rape stuff, either. His wife filed for divorce in 2011 and it was reported that it came on the heels of her discovery of his allegedly extramarital affairs. They reconciled a year or two later. His wife has gone through a lot already.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The people here who have covered celebrities know what that's all about.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

That's Detective Dave Starsky, not the Mod Squad guy!!

swingline and lakefront like this.
  7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

They got back together, had two more children and from all anyone knows, he's been a model husband and father since then. Mrs. Bryant made a decision to forgive her husband and his statement after the trial wasn't the hollow mea culpa most athletes spit out. It seemed sincere.
    As far as the legalities, he was not prosecuted for a sexual assault and he settled a civil suit. From a legal standpoint, Kobe Bryant is not "a rapist."

TigerVols likes this.
  8. ChrisLong

Yeah, talking smack.

9. ChrisLong

You’re right, my bad.

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Jordan and Bird would find it funny that the greats shouldn't talk so much shit.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

TigerVols and HanSenSE like this.
  12. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

I’m not debating any of your points, I’m merely pointing out that I don’t understand the “devoted husband” narrative given that he allegedly cheated on his wife for much of their marriage. Yes, his wife forgave him and he’s likely changed in recent years, so we don’t have to bring that up, but I don’t think that completely changes the narrative, either.

Draft saved Draft deleted