1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Kim Jessup (ESPN PR)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, May 5, 2011.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I worked with Kim a few years ago when I was in Richmond and did a story on ESPN taking over the NASCAR rights. She got me with a couple of their big guns on the radio. So friendly and nice. Shame to hear this, absolutely. 29 is far too young.

2. BobSacamano

BobSacamano Member

Only detail known at this point is that it happened while she was on vacation in Hawaii. Don't know if the family plans to release a statement. Grief is the only appropriate emotion, but the shock leads to natural curiosity.

3. It appears, according to some Twitter posts, that she was in Hawaii with several friends when she felt a pain in her leg, went to the hospital and apparently died while there. One post from someone who said she was there said that doctors initially thought it was a blood clot but that there was some doubt about that later.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wow, that's scary...

5. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Terrible. She was so young.

6. Colton

Colton Active Member

It's getting awfully dusty in here.

RIP to both.

7. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Still haven't seen any details, but the leg/blood clot angle would make sense. One of her friends had tweeted they flew from Seattle to Hawaii the day before. Long flights can produce blood clots. Sad, whatever the reason.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Had she ever broken her ankle or leg?

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

The first thing I thought was pulmonary embolism. The plane theory fits perfectly, especially if there was a clot or a blockage. The pain in her leg may have been the clot breaking off. Someone I follow on Twitter said she (this person, not Kim) had pain in her sternum and back, short of breath and lightheaded... and she'd just been on a long flight. Everyone who responded to her said "get checked out!"

RIP Kim. It's always a shame to see people die so young.

10. WS

WS Member

Searched "Kim Jessup" on twitter and this profile came up, which I clicked on and saw this. Not familiar with the syndrome, but maybe others are.

JesCanary Jessica Canary
    Finally received answers. kim died of a heart attack due to having had Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome. Far too young. We miss you.

11. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

Kim was a delight to work with and fun to be around. She was good at her job and will be missed by many.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Very sad, very unexpected. Though these things never are.

I covered the death of a young kid who had a cardiac anomaly found in .05 of the population. Pretty much detectable only in an autopsy. Still, get checked.

Draft saved Draft deleted