1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Kevin Duckworth

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Aug 26, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That's horrible.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

Any news on the COD?

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Wow. Never expected this.

I'd guess the heart would be COD, but who knows for sure.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

As a Warrior fan, I disliked the Blazers but appreciated how good they were. Buck Williams, Porter, Clyde the Glide, Kersey and Duckworth.

Duckworth had soft hands with a big body. Seemed like a nice guy too.

Heard he was doing an NBA event too. Much too soon.

5. jps

jps Active Member

news just now didn't say, tom ... but video of the guy from his last basketball clinic the other day showed he was huge. just seeing the guy walking down the street, most folks would never guess he was once a basketball player.

6. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I saw him play at the local university when I was 12. Here's their story and dedication.

http://www.eiupanthers.com/News/mbball/2008/8/26/08_duckworth_story.asp

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Duck will be missed.

8. dob23

dob23 New Member

Was at EIU when they retired his jersey and when he went into the school's HOF. Never heard anyone say a bad word about him. Gave EIU alums plenty of reasons to be proud ... and another reason to root against the Pistons when they met in the finals.

RIP, Duck.

9. Colton

Colton Active Member

Damn, RIP...

I'm the same age.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Here's a somewhat recent pic posted through google of Duckworth. Being a huge Trailblazers fan as a kid, I got bored one day and googled some of that 1989-1990 Blazers team to see what they were up to lately. It amazed me how much Duck had ballooned up.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_kVM5m1zqBvo/R26jRfVuzcI/AAAAAAAAAkM/nNSxmfb9m8c/S1050082.JPG

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

duck got big before he left the league.

12. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

In general, obesity is a leading cause of heart problems, but there's much more to consider.

Let's not forget Marfan Syndrone. It's a distinct possibility for someone who was a 7-footer. In doing a Google search, I found out Michael Phelps has this. I didn't realize that. I don't know whether Duckworth had it, but it should at least be considered.

Also, athletes are prone to enlarged, thickened hearts.

Here's a press release from John Hopkins on the subject:

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/Press_releases/2008/05_15a_08.html

Of special note is this line:

"African-Americans are more vulnerable, with two to three times the rate of sudden cardiac death than in whites."

Of course, Doc would have much better knowledge of this stuff. I just want folks to realize that it's not necessarily cheeseburgers that kill every person who is overweight.

Draft saved Draft deleted