1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Ken Venturi

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, May 17, 2013.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

1964 U.S. Open winner and longtime CBS announcer was 82.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I remember reading about how he won the US Open in '64 in one of those sports anthologies and was very impressed. RIP.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Gosh, makes me feel sad. At least he left such a rich legacy. RIP.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

RIP. He and Peter Alliss were the golf voices of my youth (and many of my adult years).

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Rough year at the Tiffany network. First Summerall, now Venturi -- both in the 18th tower when Nicklaus won his 18th in 1986.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

RIP to a man who only won this tournament since before you were born.
    [​IMG]

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Accolades are pouring in from all over (Jack, Arnie, T. Watson, etc.) and I suppose no one wants to speak ill of the dearly departed. However, a lot of people are still pissed at Venturi accusing Arnold of cheating int he 1958 Masters.
    That wasn't all. Venturi could be an abrasive sort. I had a former Tour player who was around when Venturi was active who told me once that when Venturi dies "they'll have to rent pallbearers."

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Nantz essentially have his eulogy at Venturi's HOF induction.

RIP Kenny.

If you see CBS' 3rd round replay today, Nantz sums it up perfectly, and closes with "Good Night Everyone ......Good Night Ken."

Draft saved Draft deleted