1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Ken Berry

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jake from State Farm, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

He was awful in Mayberry RFD, too.

2. Starman

Andy had been mailing it in the last several seasons, too.

I think he saw Dick Van Dyke get the smash film role in "Mary Poppins," and figured, "why not me?", and as a result got bored and lazy with the teevee show. Remember, Andy had been a fairly substantial up-and-coming movie actor prior to the teevee show.

Ken Berry, I suppose, didn't do a bad job in his role, but his role was just boring as all hell.

BadgerBeer likes this.
  3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

This doesn't relate to Ken Berry, RIP, but Warren replacing Don Knott's character may have been the worst replacement character in sitcom history.

4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

The "Howard Sprague Tries a Beer" episode was noteworthy, though.

5. Starman

Jim Nabors as Gomer could have stepped in, but they spun him off into his own show almost the same time Don Knotts left.

Since "GPUSMC" became quite a substantial hit in its own right, I
    imagine the producers were ok with the tradeoff in the long run.

Andy himself had hit comic gold with "No Time For Sergeants" before the start of the teevee show, and TAGS was originally planned to showcase Andy as the comic star, before they discovered Knotts, made him the comic lead, and turned Andy into the avuncular straight man.

By 1965 Andy probably figured it was too late to go back and make Andy Taylor the wild and crazy guy he was originally supposed to be. Or he didn't feel like trying.

Maybe ... they should have married him off to a sexy witch or a genie!

Having Barbara Eden (or the equivalent) bouncing around Mayberry in a harem outfit would certainly have livened up the storylines.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  6. poindexter

Jesus... Howard Sprague, Ken Berry, the Warren character.

Someone on the 'talent recruiting side' should have been fired.

Gomer and Goober were terrible as well.

That shows just how strong the main set of Andy Griffith characters were.

7. Starman

Ehhh, Nabors was pretty good as Original Gomer, playing a version of the hillbilly-yokel character Andy had hit big with in "No Time For Sergeants."
    Goober was ok but a less focused knockoff.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Even taking away the obvious horrible Barney/Warren trade . . .

Floyd and Otis and Gomer > Howard and Emmett and Goober

9. poindexter

I take back my post about early Gomer. He was pretty good as a bit player hick mechanic.

The show's depth was impressive. Every girlfriend of Andy and Barney were fantastic. And it went far beyond that. Ernest T, the occasional Feds, Aunt Bee's friends...

10. Starman

Part of the dynamic with Andy was that he was supposed to be an authority figure of sorts -- as much as an omnipotent authority figure as you could have in Mayberry, and playing all the zany rural characters off him made for good comedy.
    Sam Jones -- Ken Berry -- what was he supposed to be? A strait-laced farmer; that was it.

A strait-laced farmer playing off against zany rural types? Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Plus, the rural types weren't so zany anymore.

11. poindexter

Ken Berry did commercials for Kinney Shoes for many years

garrow likes this.
  12. Starman

If Kinney Shoe stores had shows like that, it would revitalize malls all across America.

Draft saved Draft deleted