1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Keith Emerson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Mar 12, 2016.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

OK, I wasn't a huge fan. But Emerson Lake and Palmer was a radio staple of my childhood.

When you put Emerson together with a Moog synthesizer. ... you were going to get something wild.

It's kind of sad. It is being investigated as a possible suicide.

Keith Emerson, Emerson, Lake and Palmer Keyboardist, Dead at 71

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

He had nerve damage in his right hand that affected his ability to play. He shot himself.

I saw them several times. "Pictures at an Exhibition" was an amazing show.

RIP.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Friends who were more music-savvy than I told me ELP was electronic rock based on classical music. I listened, I liked, I bought (vinyl). My mom, of course, hated rock music but loved beautiful, classical music. Mantovani was a favorite. I had to drive her somewhere and I had ELP queued up in my 8-track (yes, snicker snicker) to the right spot. I told her it was music just like Mantovani when one of Emerson's piano solos came around. She loved it and swayed to the music.
    Another memory. A friend was a traditional drummer and worshipped Buddy Rich. I told him about Palmer and all of his percussion set up around him and what he he could do with it. My friend scoffed: "It's drumming, it's not gymnastics." Then he heard Palmer play and came around to appreciate him.
    Great band.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
Draft saved Draft deleted