1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jose Uribe

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bill Horton, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

Apologies to all, particularly the Good Doctor, if I am DBing this:

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic - Former San Francisco Giants shortstop Jose Uribe was killed early Friday in a car crash in his native Dominican Republic.

The Dominican National Police said the 47-year-old Uribe's sport utility vehicle crashed about 3 a.m. on a highway about 30 miles west of the capital, Santo Domingo. Police said the cause of the crash was under investigation.

Uribe's death was confirmed by Glovis Reyes, a longtime friend of the ballplayer and a former member of the Dominican Congress.

Uribe played 10 seasons in the major leagues from 1984 to 1993, mostly with the Giants. He began his career with one season in St. Louis and ended it with one in Houston. He had a career batting average of .241 and a fielding percentage of .969.

2. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Re: RIP Juan Uribe

You've got the wrong Uribe in the thread title.

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Re: RIP Juan Uribe

That's JOSE Uribe.

Please get the name right in a memorial thread.

RIP to the former Louisville Redbird Jose Gonzalez. A very deft and underrated defensive player.

4. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

My humblest apologies to both the Incredible Mr. Limpet and He Who Hacks Up Flem Freely.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I remember he had to take half a season off because his wife had died. A tragic life. RIP.

6. the fop

the fop Member

Wasn't Jose Uribe the one called truly a player to be named later? IIRC, at various times he went by Jose Uribe, Uribe Gonzalez, Jose Gonzalez and possibly Uribe Uribe?

RIP.

7. Jeff Gluck

Jeff Gluck Member

This is one of the saddest sports deaths for me in a while...

Uribe was on those Giants teams in the late 80s when my dad would take me to Candlestick Park several times a year. You had Will Clark at first, Robby Thompson at second, Uribe at short and Matt Williams at third.

I can distinctly remember the Candlestick crowd chanting his name -- one side would say, "OOOOOH" and the other would go, "RIBE!!!!!!"

Draft saved Draft deleted