1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jose Fernandez

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 25, 2016.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

You're talking about a team owned by Jeffrey Loria.

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

He was a hero to the Cuban-American community and a lot of kids. But the whole story should be told if you're going to build a monument.

3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Kent Hrbek? KENT FUCKING HRBEK? That Ron-Gant-Leg-Lifting piece of shit?

(Yes, dammit, I'm still bitter.)

Also, it is a shame that Sid Bream doesn't have a statue up at the new Braves stadium.

Batman and Hermes like this.
  5. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Bronco77 likes this.
  6. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Once again proving he's the worst present-day sports owner (though I might get an argument from Knicks fans about the Dolans) and maybe one of the bottom five of all time. The day he sells the team can't come soon enough.

I mean, did he even stop and think for just a second about the passengers who died, and their families? It would be difficult to blame a family member for going over to the ballpark and taking a jackhammer to that statue after it's built.

People ridicule the Marlins for not drawing well, but (assuming a new owner is even a marginal improvement), I believe you will see attendance rise as soon as he sells. There are a lot of people here in South Florida who'd like to go to a game but hate the idea of putting money in Loria's pocket.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Can't stand LeBatard (and this was before he got that asinine show), but, yeah. And adding a plaque explaining how he died? Don't do that either. Very, very inappropriate.

SnarkShark likes this.
  8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

My favorite is Ivan Rodriguez commissioning a statue of himself for his front yard.

[​IMG]

QYFW and Hermes like this.
  9. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Instead of 'fuck you' money, I'm going to start calling it building-your-own-statue-in-your-front-yard money.

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

As long as that's the only way he's like OJ...

Draft saved Draft deleted