1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Johnny Pesky

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

http://www.csnne.com/baseball-boston-redsox/redsox-talk/Johnny-Pesky-dies-at-age-92?blockID=756169&feedID=3352

Johnny Pesky dies at age 92.

RIP

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Damn. Lived a long and great life, though.

His career was an interesting one, as his first three seasons were BY FAR his best. He hit .331 and led the league in hits as a rookie in 1942, then missed three years because of the war. When he came back in 1946, he hit .335 and the league in hits again, and then did it again in 1947.

I guess that just leaves Bobby Doerr and pitcher Boo Ferriss (who is still very active with the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame) among the regulars from the 1946 Red Sox.

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

RIP Johnny. Gave his life to baseball and the Red Sox.

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Great quote from an article a co-worker found about Pesky.

Mr. Pesky had a managerial record of .451 (which includes five games at the end of the 1980 season). Asked once how it felt to win as a manager, he replied, “The sky is a little bluer, the beer tastes a little better, and my wife looks like Gina Lollobrigida.” Asked whom his wife resembled during a losing streak, Mr. Pesky said, “Bela Lugosi.”

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I guess heaven craved a pole.

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

You brilliant bastard.