1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Johnny Logan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ifilus, Aug 9, 2013.

1. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Former Milwaukee Braves great Johnny Logan died Friday night at Veterans Hospital at 86.

In a 13-year career, Logan batted .268 with 93 home runs, 547 runs batted in, 651 runs scored and 1,407 hits in 1,503 games. He was a four-time all-star, including three years in a row from 1957-1959.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/219068291.html

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Starting shortstop on the 1957 World Series winner and 1958 NL pennant winners who should have won WS but blew a 3-1 lead.

He wasn't from Milwaukee, but he came to Milwaukee in the early 50s when the Milwaukee Brewers were the American Association AAA affiliate for the Boston Braves. He made it up to the Braves briefly in Boston, and when the Braves moved to Milwaukee he forever made Milwaukee his home. He was still a fixture at Miller Park as a scout for the Brewers.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

If you covered games in Milwaukee over the past 20 years, you probably saw him in the press box there.

[​IMG]

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Remembered by a lot of people for being a character and a master of the malapropism.

Two I remember hearing:

-- Out to eat with teammates, he tells them while they're looking at the menu: "This soup du jour must be good. They have it every day."

-- And after dinner, he tells the waitress that for dessert he wants the "apple pie a la mode. With ice cream!"

For at least some long stretch of his adulthood, he had a taste for adult beverages, which confounds the hell out of me how he made it to 86. R.I.P.

Draft saved Draft deleted