1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Johnny Bailey

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Cancer claims him at 43.

Had a limited NFL career but was a small college legend at Texas A&I. Three-time Harlon Hill (Division II PotY) and four time All-American.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/college/7161473.html

2. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Yes, I remember him well, even as he moved to the NFL.
    RIP, Johnny Bailey and condolences to the family.

Just read in this month's Texas Monthly of a pre-teen skateboarder with tons of heart who succumbed to leukemia/cancer somewhat recently.
    Excellent writing about a kid I'd never heard of.
    Cancer's such a bitch.

3. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Without a doubt the greatest small-college running back ever. Posted numbers against some of the best teams in Division II in the late '80s. Also one of the first three inductees into the NCAA Division II football Hall of Fame in Florence, AL, IIRC.

R.I.P. JB.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Walter Payton might have something to say about that, but Bailey was definitely one of the best of all-time. RIP.

5. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Uh ...

As a member of the Jackson State Tigers, Payton rushed for more than 3,500 yards, averaging 6.1 yards per carry. Scored 65 touchdowns.

Bailey began his Texas A&I career with four consecutive 200-yard games and rushed for 6,320 yards, joining Tony Dorsett of Pittsburgh as the only players at that time to gain more than 6,000 yards. He added 580 yards in D-II playoff games, which were not included in career stats then.

Payton was a good collegian, Hall of Fame pro. Bailey was the better college player.

Draft saved Draft deleted