1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP John Stewart

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

No, not that Jon Stewart. :D

Former member of the Kingston Trio. Wrote "Daydream Believer" and had a brief solo career in the early 80s during which he collaborated with Stevie Nicks.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jGO97U870NfzEZkeXyVuAM1i7vAAD8U9I8C00

Those three-bedroom apartments in the sky are getting damn short in supply this week.

2. Collaborating with Ms. Nicks is enough for one lifetime.

3. Mike_Sielski

Mike_Sielski Member

One of the greatest and most underrated songwriters in American music history. In 1992, when I was a junior in high school, my dad took me to see Stewart in concert at, of all places, the Penn State-Delaware County campus library. There were 150 people there, maybe. I got to meet him before the concert began. The gentleman who introduced him stepped out on the makeshift stage and said, "To those of you who have never seen John Stewart in concert before, welcome to the cult."

If you're unfamiliar with his work, I recommend the song "Mother Country." If you can listen to it without welling up, you're stronger than I am.

RIP.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Is he the John Stewart who did "Gold"? Awful song....

5. Is that the one with the late Dan Fogelberg?
    The music clubs of heaven are full of fail tonight.

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Football, I think liberals everywhere clutched their chests this morning when they saw this headline. :)

Huggy, why no love for "Gold"? Wasn't a bad song at all and it had Stevie Nicks as a backup singer. To each his own, I guess.

Anyhow, these RIP threads are getting depressing. Sam the butcher, Emily Hartley and now the Kingston Trio's lead singer. Sheesh.

7. I am sorry that RIP threads tend to involve dead people.
    We'll work on that.

8. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

Hey, he was a big deal. Mike, you got it right. Superb songwriter. Ever hear "Runaway Train" by Rosanne Cash? "Mother Country" is profoundly moving.

Very sad.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

One of my favorites, performed by Stewart and Lindsey Buckingham:

"Is it wrong to be so much in love with a girl
    That you can't tell her voice from the spinning of the world?"

10. patchs

patchs Active Member

My brother-in-law saw him live a couple of times, he liked him a lot.
    I told him about it in church this morning, it really bummed him out.
    And Huggy, sorry, I like "Gold."
    Another good song of Stewart's was "Lost Her in the Sun."

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I just hope nothing happens to Louis Black or Steven Colbert.

12. Mike_Sielski

Mike_Sielski Member

Huggy,

"Gold" is perhaps the best known song that Stewart wrote and released, which is a shame, because it's not nearly the best song on the "Bombs Away Dream Babies" album and certainly not his best overall. His version of "Daydream Believer" isn't nearly as sugary as the Monkees made it out to be, and "Runaway Train," "California Bloodlines," "Mother Country," "The Queen of Hollywood High," "Kansas," "Little Road and a Stone to Roll" and "The American Way" (just to name a few) embody the best of folk-rock. And that doesn't include what he did with the Kingston Trio.

Cheers,

Mike

Draft saved Draft deleted