1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP John Quade

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double J, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Best known as Cholla, leader of the Black Widows biker gang in the Clint Eastwood flicks "Every Which Way But Loose" and "Any Which Way You Can."

I also remember him for "La Bamba," where he turned off the TV in the bar and refused to let Ritchie Valens' brother watch Ritchie on "American Bandstand."

But he also made a memorable Midas Muffler commercial up here in Canada in the early '80s that co-starred Lee Van Cleef as the fastest muffler fixer in town. I am NOT making this up.

I also saw him in an Oktoberfest parade in Kitchener at around the same time, and I guess I thought he was Canadian. Nope.

At any rate, RIP.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090813/ap_en_ot/us_obit_quade_3

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

That Midas ad was great: "On your feet stringbean!"

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    THAT GUY!

RIP Quade. One of those actors you knew who the character was as soon as he showed up.

4. EE94

EE94 Guest

The face is instantly recognizable, but I would never have been able to come up with his name

great movie badass

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

"Fixed his wagon good."

I'm so happy I'm not the only person who remembers that commercial!!

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

I found a Midas commercial with the two of them in it......not THE commercial, it's a sequel, but it'll do for now.

Also found a couple more great Lee Van Cleef commercials with guest stars George Kennedy (as a competitor in a foul mood) and Jack Palance (as an impatient preacher).

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

From his Wikipedia page:

Quade was an outspoken opponent of the U.S. Government and believed it had become drastically different from the founding fathers' intent. He gave numerous lectures on the New World Order of the current government. In short, he was opposed to the 14th Amendment to the Constitution, Social Security numbers, and drivers' licenses. He was often referred to as an "actor, aerospace engineer, and Christian activist". He was a supporter of the Allodial Title belief in common law.

8. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I actually got an autographed pic at a Midas Shop in Winnipeg when he was doing a promo.

I think I kept it for about a week.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

RIP, Mr. Black Widow.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Because WHACK JOB was taken?

12. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I had to look up what Allodial Title was. Apparently it's some ancient deal where your land has no encumbrances and you don't have to pay taxes on it. I think I'll sign up for that too. I'm sure my county assessor will understand.

Draft saved Draft deleted