1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP John Hughes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I'm a little young for Fast Times, only caught it later.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I believe he was Anthony Michael Hall's father in "Breakfast Club." Shown only in the car picking him up at the end of the day. Don't remember seeing him in "Weird Science," but haven't seen that in a while.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

"I just got felt up by my grandmother."

4. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Hughes' teen comedies, while very good, aren't in the same league as "Fast Times."

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Screws fall out all the time.

The world's an imperfect place.

Man, there was a time when my best friend from HS and I could have probably done the Breakfast Club script from memory.

6. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Macaulay Culkin's having a rough couple of months.

I didn't realize that he was one of the writer's on Delta House [an ABC spin-off of National Lampoon's Animal House].

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

TRUNK YOU!!!!! [/TV edit]

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

No, dad, what about you?

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

NO DAD! WHAT! ABOUT! YOU!

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Sixteen Candles is a great comedy. Almost every character, no matter how minor, is written perfectly. Anthony Michael Hall's performance is letter-perfect too.

I'm with PC. Vacation and Ferris Bueller are also very entertaining. Weird Science, if you look at it and accept it completely as a juvenile goof-off movie, has its merits.

Planes, Trains and Automobiles is good, but it's also where Hughes' turn towards sentimentality started to get out of hand.

Everything else he made? It's either horribly dated (Breakfast Club, Pretty In Pink) or wasn't any good in the first place. Career Opportunities is on the short list of worst movies I've ever seen in a theater.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Remember how you said your parents use you to get back at each other?

Wouldn't I be OUTSTANDING in that capacity?

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Curley Sue, anyone?

Draft saved Draft deleted