1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP John Daly (Platoon producer, not the career-wasting drunk golfer)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Nov 1, 2008.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Re: RIP John Daly (the movie producer, not the golfer)

I disagree. I think it's fantastically devious.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

The fact it's been changed lets you know the original was bullshit. There's no need to play "gotcha" here.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I disagree, nice gotcha from Piotr. I had the same reaction as the rest of you, and then started laughing when I saw his first post.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Re: RIP John Daly (not the grotesque failure of a golfer, the producer)

No complaints about the changing of the thread title; surprised it took so long. Figured someone would freak about it.

But . . . . .

With some of the sheer idiocy that gets posted here (and gee, sometimes by people who are close associates with those who would call out this simple thread title), with some of the absolute bullcrap we see daily - and I'm not even speaking of the politics board - it's classic that this ultimately harmless thread title is singled out for special attention.

Sorry. A loser golfer who pissed away his talent through substance abuse and chronic obesity, never coming close to realizing his potential, is not fucking dead. Yet.

But a few posters' sense of humor apparently is.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Re: RIP John Daly (Platoon producer, not the grotesque drunk golfer)

Piotr, you know better. On more than one occasion this board has been used as a tip for other journalists to hold out for a story or chase after something that was truly meaningful for their next paper.

Daly the golfer, thought overweight and perhaps a waste of talent, would still qualify as a big deal to a substantial number of people. And your deciding to play games and cause people to startle for a moment wasn't cool.

I didn't change the title, but I'm glad someone did.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Re: RIP John Daly (Platoon producer, not the grotesque drunk golfer)

I accept that it wasn't cool, forgetting the fact that if there had been rumors of this waste falling ill, there would have been a thread.

But I also think people could lighten up.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

RIP threads are often used to give heads-up to changes that will need to be made, often on deadline. Nothing to be cutesy about.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The entertainment page editor saw the headline and probably blew it off as some career-wasting drunk golfer, when in fact it was an important death in their scope of coverage.

Won't somebody think of the entertainment editors!!!!

9. Piotr Rasputin

That's funny; I more often see them used for rememberances and tributes. And of course, post-padding and jokes that get run into the ground.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

He was great in the '91 PGA. :)

11. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Like there was an entertainment page editor still in the building when this thread started. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted