1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP John Andretti

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 30, 2020.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Well, shit. Day ruined.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Won in Nascar, open wheel and sports cars, and made the semifinals in his first NHRA event in a top fuel dragster. A throwback that racing doesn't see often anymore. Plus he was an exceptionally good guy.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Wow, this sucks.

Had the great opportunity to work with John closely when my magazine had a marketing deal with him and RCA and as a result I got to roam everywhere at Daytona, Bristol and 'Dega with him and his team and it's a memory I cherish because I didn't get to hang out in NASCAR nearly enough.

Exceptionally good guy is a great way to put it, @playthrough. He was so genteel and authentic.

Edit: Colon cancer...diagnosed when he was the age I am now. OK, I'll be pooping on a stick this weekend no doubt.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    maumann and playthrough like this.
  4. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

I was at his first race with Petty Enterprises. Michigan, the interwebs tell me.

One of the days he had on a PE/STP racing suit that was about 5 sizes too big, but man, he had a smile on him. Have a picture somewhere around here of him in that suit and smile. RIP.

That was the weekend Ernie Irvan went into the wall. Watched the helicopter take off. I was in the garage area. No one thought he was going to make it. Irvan and Yates were on a roll, they were a force. Then, Michigan.

maumann likes this.
  5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

This sucks.

In an age where more drivers are jerked around by PR machines and such, the impression seems to be that he Got It. Wasn't a pile of drivel, useless scripting and cliches. Plus the "good guy" label from the right posters here seals it.

Keep Pounding, John. RIP, good sir and thank you.

maumann likes this.
  6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

He had a wild project around 2011, an IndyCar that he tried to get signed by every living Indy 500 driver. It was eventually auctioned off by Barrett-Jackson for St. Jude's Children's Hospital and he came pretty close to getting all 270 signatures or so. The drivers in prison weren't so easy.

maumann likes this.
  7. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

The checkered flag falls for a very good driver and greater man. RIP John.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

9. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

11. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Really wish they'd have wound it up to 120 mph going down the backstretch, just for John's benefit.

franticscribe likes this.
  12. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

That is so incredible taking the hearse onto the track.
    A few years ago, I attended a funeral of an old boxing guy. At the end of the service, they unveiled a ring bell and rang it 12 times -- the last round. Damn, I lost it and I didn't even know the guy that well.

franticscribe and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted