1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Joey Fosko

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Writer33, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Writer33

Writer33 Member

I am very sad to pass on to the board the news of Joey Fosko's death. Joey died early this morning of a massive heart attack. Today was his 46th birthday. For those who didn't know Joey, he was a sports writer at the Paducah Sun. I have known him for about 10 years and can tell you that he was a good guy who cared about his craft and the people he covered. Fair winds and following seas, Joey.

2. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear. RIP.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Joey was one of the good ones. Would always go out of his way to help you if he could.

He was a great friend and I'll miss him. Rest in peace, my friend.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Yikes. I'll be 46 in March, so that hits a little too close to home. RIP Joey.

5. RacerExaminer

RacerExaminer New Member

Joey was my friend. We broke in at the same time. Heartbroken. No one loved covering high school sports as much as Joey.

This is from my SE..

http://murrayledger.com/sports/remembering-joey-fosko/article_86d759b4-d76e-11e2-bb43-0019bb2963f4.html#.Ub9DPtyh6oU.twitter

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Fosko was an awesome guy. And I think he'd like that I called him that. We were still Facebook friends, but we hadn't really talked since I left Danville back in 2004. Exchanged a message here or there, but I kept up with him and his recent foray into getting healthier. He survived cancer, and his heart attack came after a 2-mile walk with his girlfriend.

So very sad. RIP, Fosko, you handsome devil.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Did he have health issues? It's scary to hear about heart attacks in someone in their 40s?

RIP

9. RacerExaminer

RacerExaminer New Member

Joey had beat cancer three years ago.

He was a big guy but he had started to watch his diet and weight. He walked a lot. He collapsed after a long walk with his girlfriend.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Damn, that sucks...

11. KYSportsWriter

Yeah.

He had just recently started walking more. He called it the Joey Trail, and would often post about his walks on Facebook.

Rest in peace, my friend.

12. KYSportsWriter

Visitation is Wednesday, funeral Thursday.

Still doesn't seem real.

Draft saved Draft deleted