1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Joe Paterno

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ben_Hecht, Jan 21, 2012.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Re: Personal Paterno Watch

I don't like the Bryant comparisons because an 85-year old man undergoing lung cancer treatments is not unusual for there to be complications and whatnot.

It is a shame, but he lived a good long life and that's all one can ask for in this world.

2. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

Lost my dad to lung cancer. It's a horrible thing and a one-way ticket - almost nobody comes back from it. Terrible. I have great sympathy for him and his family, whether this is the end or not. And, for me at least, there's no need to bring any of the other stuff into it. He's a human being facing a terrible disease, regardless of surrounding circumstances.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Dumb question: Did he smoke? Did he used to smoke? Doesn't seem to be his personality. But, on the other hand, he comes from a generation where smoking's dangers weren't as well-known as now.

Also: What a Shakespearean tragedy the end of his life (presumably) has been. Wow.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Lost my dad to lung cancer too. Smoked like a chimney pretty much his whole life. I look back kind of in sadness that my mom would always have me buy him pipe tobacco for Christmas.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

He did not smoke, Dick; it was mentioned in a couple stories around the time he was diagnosed.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Thought I remembered hearing that. Thanks.

7. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

Mine smoked from age 14.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Mine started at 15. Died at 52, only a few weeks after being diagnosed with lung cancer.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Mine died at 63; lived about a year after he was first diagnosed.

10. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Reading all of this makes me that much happier that my father is still alive and lucky enough to not have lung cancer despite his years of smoking. (he has since quit for about 7 years now)

My heart goes out to those who've lost someone from that terrible disease.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

1. No one has reported anything official. Well ...

2. Other than the student radio station, which put forward a pretty weak-ass tweet, citing "alleged sources."

3. No news is bad news.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

https://twitter.com/#!/OnwardState/statuses/160901171387699200

@OnwardState
    Onward State
    Football players received an email minutes ago informing them of Paterno's passing.

Draft saved Draft deleted