1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Joe Nuxhall

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HoopsMcCann, Nov 16, 2007.

1. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

the ol' lefthander died thursday night

from the ap:

there are few people in this world i respect more than joe nuxhall. a sad, sad day.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Damn. RIP to the ol' lefthander.

I used to listen to faint Reds broadcasts late at night as a kid. We were 500 miles south of Riverfront Stadium, but I could pick up WHAS in Louisville almost every night over the radio in the summertime. Always did love listening to Marty and Joe.

And I am more in awe not that he was the youngest to ever pitch in the big leagues ... which, of course, he is most famous for ... but that he made it back eight years later and won 135 games. Remarkable.

3. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i don't think there's a person alive who has anything bad to say about him. really one of the great people in sports

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Rounding third and heading for Heaven.

5. BBJones

BBJones Guest

Broadcast teams like Marty and Joe are hard to find anymore. They were truly outstanding, back in the days of transistor radios held to ears by 8-year-olds staying awake longer than they were supposed to. People like Joe were larger than life in those days.

6. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

RIP, Joe.

7. ctr

ctr New Member

Just wanted to throw in my two cents...

Here's what I wrote on my Reds blog

RIP Joe, you'll be missed.

As Marty Brennaman said, if you were to write a history of the Cincinnati Reds, Joe Nuxhall would be on the cover. Joe was the most beloved man in the city, and in this messed up place where they call some odd concoction of meat sauce, spaghetti and cheese "chili", it's certainly one thing they got right. We'll all miss you, Ol' Lefthander.

8. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

Joe was a huge part of my summers growing up. Out of school, the warm breeze and Marty and Joe over some cheap radio sitting on the railing on a beat up porch somewhere. Life was perfect.

They don't make men like that anymore.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

This sucks. RIP.

I must have heard one of his last broadcasts -- a September Saturday home game against the Brewers -- he called it with Jeff Brantley.

He was a good counter-point in the booth to Marty's sometimes acerbic ways, but those guys meshed so well together. Nuxhall just had a voice that made you feel comfortable.

10. BBJones

BBJones Guest

Maybe it's because I grew up on the Big Red Machine, and they were so good then (and because at that age I had no idea what the word meant), I never found Marty to be acerbic. But in the world of cheerleaders in radio booths, I'm not sure acerbic is a bad thing. Either way, Joe was a great yin to Marty's yang.

11. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

TSP refers to the phrase I always remember as a kid listening to games on WLW. After Nuxhall finished the star-of-the-game show, he'd say, "This is the ol' left-hander, rounding third and heading for home. Goodnight, everybody."

RIP Joe.

12. ctr

ctr New Member

all the lights are out at Great American Ball Park except for the sign on the Administration building that says, "Rounding third and heading for home..." and the lights in the WLW radio booth

It's amazing, you've got to be here to understand what Joe meant to the city of Cincinnati

Draft saved Draft deleted