1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Joe Morgan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by maumann, Oct 12, 2020.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Gullett went seven innings in an exhibition game, and McNally six. How things have changed in 35 years.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

All true. Ir was common among both fans and reporters to see Morgan as the best player on the Machine. People laughed at the idea he was underrated back in the Ford administration.

Jesus_Muscatel likes this.
  3. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

This is a good point - I should clarify that I didn't mean to suggest that Morgan was underrated in his time, but only that he looks even better with today's advanced stats and analysis. I'm thinking more of the balance of his career apart from his MVP years. I'm not sure his always high OBP and walk totals were as valued as they would be today.

Guy_Incognito likes this.
  4. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

My dad stopped watching baseball sometime in the early 90s so whenever the guys from his time of really watching the sport die I'll always chat with him about them and when I told him about Morgan he told me he never thought he would see a better second baseman than Jackie Robinson....until Joe Morgan.

Then he went on for about 40 minutes..."He could do anything....run, hit, hit for power, field, throw, draw walks....anytime you needed him to get on base he could do it. If you needed to him to get to second, he would get a hit and steal, walk and steal or hit for a double...he would just figure it out."

And he kept going on and on...It's was pretty cool.

Slacker, maumann and Tighthead like this.
  5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I only ever had one interaction with Joe Morgan, at the 1997 expansion draft for the Devil Rays and Diamondbacks in Phoenix. It was a weird sort of free-for-all where you just randomly walked up and talked to random people in this ballroom at a Scottsdale hotel. I was, what, 21 years old? Barely started my career and was dropped into a room with all of these famous baseball players where you just cold walked up to them to ask questions. Joe gave me a good 10 minutes and couldn't have been kinder and more engaging.

Dog8Cats and maumann like this.
  6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I’ve decided to regale my son someday with stories not about stars, but random journeymen.

“Kid, let me tell you about the weird smirk Joe Randa had when he stepped into the box and how Ron Coomer looked like a UPS delivery driver.”

sgreenwell and maumann like this.
  7. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Kaline was 85
    Gibson 84

8. Jake from State Farm

Baseball reference says the player most similar to Joe Morgan is Lou Whitaker
    Do your job, veterans committee

maumann likes this.
  9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I never knew this

ChrisLong likes this.
  10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Found this on a Facebook page: Joe Morgan is the 6th HOFer to pass in 2020. This has only happened once before, in 1972, when Dave Bancroft, Gabby Hartnett, Jackie Robinson, Pie Traynor, George Weiss and Zach Wheat died.

11. Jake from State Farm

I was a senior at Michigan State in 1975
    A bunch of us lived in a house off campus
    The house was divided for Game 6
    Reds fans watched on the upstairs TV
    I was with the Red Sox fans in the basement
    When Bernie Carbo, who was a year ahead of my sister at Livonia Franklin High, hit his game-tying homer, the woman who was studying in the middle said the scream from both rooms was so loud the walls were shaking

Dog8Cats and misterbc like this.
  12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The article I got that info from was posted after Kaline's passing -- I don't know if it was written in response to that, since it wasn't noted

Draft saved Draft deleted