1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Joe Morgan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by maumann, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Interesting to note that Morgan hit .327 and .320 in his back-to-back MVP seasons, but he was .271 for his career, which is not bad at all, but those were the only two seasons he topped .300.

I was not a Reds fan, but everyone knew how dangerous Morgan was.

I loved and hated him on SNB. Had those great insights, but he also had an annoying habit of second-guessing pitchers and everyone else after the pitch or the play. "What he should have done there was ... " Over time it was impossible to ignore.

I liked his relaxed voice in the booth. Didn't sound awful to me. Overall, I though Joe Morgan was pretty cool.

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

“Pretty cool”. That’s probably my apt descriptor as well for him.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Eh, I don't believe Schur if he said that.

The name made the site. It focused obsessively (and frequently) on Morgan, too.

It's a valuable thing to still have on the Web, too, because it charts the shift in sportswriting away from appreciating human, intangible qualities to embracing tangible, quantifiable things about sports. The trend has made not a few sportswriters eye-rolling, "well, actually" bores, as well.

4. nickp

nickp Active Member

Sunday night Baseball with Joe Morgan and Jon Miller was my childhood They were the perfect combination of entertaining & educational

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The 2020 starting lineup:
    C Biff Pocoroba
    1B Bob Watson
    2B Joe Morgan
    3B Tony Taylor
    SS Tony Fernandez
    LF Lou Brock
    CF Jimmy Wynn
    RF Al Kaline
    Rotation: Tom Seaver, Bob Gibson, Whitey Ford, Mike McCormick, Johnny Antonelli

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The five oldest living Hall of Fame players are now Mays, Aaron, Aparicio, Koufax and Mazeroski (Ford was No. 1 and Gibson was No. 5)

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Darnit, RIP Joe. Count me as another who loved Morgan and Miller on Sunday nights. I read FJM with amusement, but didn't take offense if Joe took some liberties or whatnot. It was a darned good broadcast and I'd take it in a heartbeat over A-Rod and launch angles and all the other garbage in ESPN games now.

8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

That 76 season...

Mngwa likes this.
  9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

St. Peter looking at his ledger book. “Joe, it says here your OPS plus was incredible!”

Joe: “NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!”

2muchcoffeeman and Songbird like this.
  11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

People recognized his value during his playing career. He was considered a star player on one of the most dominant teams ever. He won MVP awards, gold glove awards and was an all star every year during his run with the Big Red Machine. And he was a first-ballot Hall of Famer.

12. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Wanted to help the local Reds affiliate, found it and send them this 1975 spring training box score from our fair city..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted