1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Joe Krol

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double J, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Canada's version of Sammy Baugh died one day earlier than did Baugh. He was 89 years old.

They called him King Krol and, along with Royal Copeland, formed the best-known tandem in Canadian football history - the Gold Dust Twins. They led the Toronto Argonauts to five Grey Cups in eight years between 1945 and 1952.

He also played briefly for the Detroit Lions and was the last cut of the Basketball Association of America's Toronto Huskies prior to their one and only season, 1946-47.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/555249

Krol, who won the Lou Marsh Award in 1946 as Canada's top athlete, may have been the most versatile athlete to play in the Canadian Football League.

It was a time when everybody played both ways, but few did it as well as Krol. He was a quarterback, halfback, defensive back and punter and excelled at all.

In his first of three consecutive Argo Grey Cups, Krol returned an interception for a touchdown in a 35-0 win over Winnipeg in 1945.

He threw three touchdown passes in the 1946 championship win, a Grey Cup record he still shares with Doug Flutie.

In the 1947 Grey Cup, Krol kicked four singles and threw a touchdown pass to Copeland as the Argos defeated Winnipeg 10-9.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Tear up that page again, 'Gola.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Well, I've actually heard of this guy.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

:)

Angola! Rules!

Just saying. :)

5. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Of course, Angola! pratically grew up in B.C.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The thing I liked about these guys was that they played both sides. Run, pass, kick, tackle.

The last guy I remember doing that was Garney Henley of the Hamilton Ticats, He was a great receiver but even a better DB. Played from the early 60's to the mid 70's.

7. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Had a thing for dead guys too, I remember.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

"I draft dead people".

Gotta love those Rough Riders.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

As opposed to the Roughriders. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted