1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Joe Garagiola

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 23, 2016.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I remember his crusade against smokeless tobacco, he'd take Bill Tuttle (noted chaw guy, lost half his face) to clubhouses and beg players to stop.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

For when you have two and a half random hours empty.

3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I always hated getting the game called by Bob Costas and Gary Kubek. Had nothing against them. They just weren't Vin and Joe.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Nothing in baseball in the 1980s matched Vin and Joe. It was awesome every time.

HanSenSE, Fly and expendable like this.
  5. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

"TWIB-" and the Game of the Week were must-views growing up. Didn't matter how nice it was outside on a Saturday afternoon, the family was watching baseball.

RIP Joe, as many have said the Scully/Garagiola combo was untouchable.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Even before TWIB, there was the "Baseball Bunch" with Johnny Bench and the Chicken. It made a great transition from Saturday morning cartoons to baseball.

Used to drive my mother crazy (well, more than usual) because I'd want to stay in and watch baseball all afternoon on a nice day.

And I agree. Vin and Joe were great together. I also enjoyed the opening intro, with Carlton Fisk doing his home run wave from the '75 World Series.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

My interest in baseball really began to deteriorate when we lost Scully and Garagiola after NBC and ABC lost baseball to CBS, which fucked it 17 ways to Sunday.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And, lest we forget, Marvel Albert on the pregame.

Draft saved Draft deleted