1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Joe Frazier

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/boxing/fight_for_life_A87nBlMPiySoNcIqFbTKZN

Loved watching him fight

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Re: NY Post: Joe Frazier 'Deathly Ill'

Saw Smokin' Joe in a New York hotel lobby in the summer of 2010 and he didn't look too good. As tough a man as I have ever seen in a boxing ring. Keep punching, champ.

3. Re: NY Post: Joe Frazier 'Deathly Ill'

The thought of Ali outliving him must drive Frazier crazy.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I saw him about 6 weeks ago at a charity event and talked to him for about 10 minutes. He wasn't sharp and moved slowly, but he didn't seem to be struggling.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

I had a nice talk with Joe at an awards ceremony in August. It had been a while since I've seen him and we chatted a while about some mutual acquaintances. He was in a wheel chair but still feisty.
    This is very disheartening news.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Seriously. On the HBO documentary that is airing right now on the Thrilla in Manilla, his brother dialed his cell phone and his message took a few shots at Ali before saying to leave a message.

Ali was Ali. But Frazier was every bit the fighter, just not as colorful. It's sad that Ali got paid more for his part in those fights than Frazier and that Frazier is living out his life in a crappy room over his gym in the hellhole that is North Philly, and Ali sold every bit of naming rights he had for millions.

Ali will be remembered in a way that Frazier wasn't, and it's a shame, because they were equals as fighters.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

It's too bad Apollo Creed didn't give Frazier that title shot he promised him right before he fought Rocky the first time. I think Joe could have taken him.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Very, very sad news. RIP Smokin' Joe.

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

There's an AP story up on Philly.com. The family has confirmed his death.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

RIP. Before my time, but it seems he didn't get the respect his accomplishments warranted.

12. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

HBO must've known this was coming because they played the Thrilla doc in the afternoon today.

RIP Smokin' Joe.

Draft saved Draft deleted