1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Joaquin Andujar

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Sep 8, 2015.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Those two help explain my 1.9 first-semester GPA ...

2. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

He and Mario Soto were quite the hotheads during the mid-80s.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I saw the Producers (the 1980s rock band) at the Note. Pretty cool. But it ain't no Road Apple.

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

In fairness to Joaquin, I'm not sure any umpire (or umpiring crew) ever had it coming more than that one did at the moment he exploded. That eruption was not based on that game's events nearly as much as it was the culmination of infuriating calls in several successive games (and, of course, the end of game 6 in particular), until someone finally snapped. Good god, what a weird World Series that was.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Plus Denkinger was behind the plate for Game 7.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Tell Jack Clark to catch the pop up by the dugout and Darrell Porter to keep the ball in front of him.

HandsomeHarley and FileNotFound like this.
  7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Neither of which should've mattered if the umps would've just made the right calls. But whatever ...not sure if I've still the energy to re-fight the 1985 wars 30 years later.

I'll just say RIP Joaquin. One of my favorites way back when. And the emotion and "hot-headedness" he was known for only made him more likeable in my eyes (just showed his competiveness and passion for the game, dammit!). I think today's game could use more unrestrained characters like that.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
    BurnsWhenIPee and old_tony like this.
  8. exmediahack

Definitely a weird World Series. Royals had no business beating Toronto and no business forcing the WS back to Kansas City.

My Royals fanboi is well-documented here. Yet I lived in St Louis in 1982 and 1985 but was never a big fan. Always a Royals fan.

In 1985, I am a sixth-grader seven weeks into junior high on a 30 minute bus ride with 7th and 8th graders. They all love the Cardinals and of course I wear my Royals hat and jacket every damn day during the series.

I remember being taunted on that Friday after Game 5 when the Royals stayed alive.

The following Monday, after Games 6 and 7, of course I wore my hat and jacket on the bus.

Of course I called the older boys in their jean jackets "bitches".

Of course I got the hell beaten out of me for three straight days on the ride home, with even the bus driver saying I had it coming.

My coming of age moment.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Stay classy St. Louis...

10. exmediahack

Nah, I totally had it coming. Deserved it.

11. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

All the St. Louis stuff indeed happened but my first and most lasting memories came when Andujar and JR Richard and Joe Niekro and young Floyd Bannister (and a really young whiz kid named Jeff Leonard) plus Jose Cruz and Enos Cabell and everyone else brought big optimism to the Astrodome for a couple of scattered seasons near 1980. The Astros were my team as a boy. RIP Joaquin.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted