1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jimmy "JB" Bryan

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PaseanaARG, Jul 30, 2006.

1. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

Long-time Birmingham News writer died late Saturday night from a heart attack.

A legend of Alabama sports writing -- both for his copy and his celebratory bent. He was just at SEC Media Days, too.
    He is survived by his wife, June Bryan; daughters, P.J. Ellis (Steve), Kim
    Bryan (Courtney Haden) and Lyn Cosby (Rodney); sons, Jimmy Bryan and Tim
    Bryan; seven grandchildren and five great grandchildren. He was 72 years
    old.

Funeral services will be held at 11:00 A.M. on Tuesday, August 1, 2006 at
    Huffman United Methodist Church with Rev. Rick Owen and Rev. Melody
    Traylor officiating. Burial will follow in Crestwood Cemetery in Gadsden.

The family will receive friends at Ridout's Trussville Chapel on Monday
    from 5:00 P.M. until 7:00 P.M.

RIP.

EDIT: I can only imagine the party up there with Al Browning and JB reunited.

2. Scwibe

Scwibe Member

Jimmy will approach the hereafter as merely another road trip:
    He'll unscrew the lead to a 1.5 liter jug of whiskey and hurl it over his right shoulder and into the ether.
    "Won't be needin' that no more."

3. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

I was there in 2000 to watch JB, Al Browning and Clyde Bolton finish a half gallon of Jack Daniels during the 100-mile stretch from Chattanooga to Knoxville. An inspired performance.

4. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

For all the hilarious and crazy stories we can tell about Jimmy, and there are many, I will always remember the patience and kindness he showed toward a young, punk know-it-all reporter when I arrived on the scene. I considered it a privledge to know Jimmy Bryan as a friend.

5. As a newcomer to the scene, I heard countless stories about JB and only wish I had the opportunity to work/drink alongside the man. RIP.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

well said, bill. well said. 8) 8) 8)

rip, jimmy. 8)

7. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

RIP

So should we start a JB memorial dead pool for SEC columnists? Based on how they all look, a lot could be going very soon.

Hardly a healthy bunch.

8. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

JB was definitely an original and the stories -- all of them true -- are priceless.
    JB was one of the best at covering a golf tournament and never leaving the sanctity of the pressroom -- but you could have sworn he was watching the leaders shot for shot.

RIP, Jimmy, you'll be missed.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

When I read this I was like, the winner of the '58 Indianapolis 500 is still alive? (Bryan died in a racing accident in 1960)

RIP to the scribe version.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Met Jimmy a few times, but knew him mostly by his larger-than-life reputation both as a writer and a carouser. One story from each ...

He wrote perhaps my favorite lede of all time, for a worse-than-usual Alabama butt-kicking of Vanderbilt in the mid-1970s ... something like:

"Inflation killed Vanderbilt on Saturday. As soon as the football was inflated, the Commodores were dead."

On one road trip, he and his B-ham News colleague (I think it was one of the Boltons, but I'm not sure) had been up late drinking the night before the game and wound up at Waffle House for a late dinner/early breakfast. Jimmy was about to pass out, but managed to order steak and eggs.

The duo woke up about 30 minutes before the next day's kickoff and hustled to get dressed and out the door. Jimmy slipped on his jacket from the night before and jammed his hand in his pocket, only to pull out a steak.

JIMMY: "What the hell is this?"

COLLEAGUE: "Oh, we ordered that for you last night, but you were too drunk to eat it."

JIMMY: "Well God damn, good thing I didn't have soup!"

Classic ...

There'll never be another. He'll be missed ...

Draft saved Draft deleted