1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP: Jimmy Crum

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Killick, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Longtime Columbus, Ohio, broadcaster Crum died Monday night. He was the dean of sports in Ohio for decades, was plugged in everywhere, and... yes, wore the most god-awful jackets ever conceived in a tailor's shop. Above his sports reporting, he was also one helluva good guy.

[​IMG]

http://www.nbc4i.com/cmh/news/local/article/an_incredible_heart_made_crum_irreplaceable_unforgettable/11490/
    http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/article/20090107/NEWS01/301070004&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL

2. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

I gotta believe that Craig Sager's thinking about Jimmy Crum's pending estate sale and having a green and purple plaid orgasm all over his orange pinstripe suit.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Holy christ, I saw the words "RIP" and "Crum" and my heart just skipped about three beats. That's the Louisville blood in me. Glad to hear it's not Denny, because I've had enough bad news for the day.

No offense to Jimmy, who sounds like a helluva guy. RIP.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I'm with you, buck. Denny was the first person I thought of when opening this thread.

Never got the chance to hear Jimmy Crum, though. RIP.

5. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

They are easily confused... I've seen Denny wear some pretty atrocious jackets, too.

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I didn't know Jimmy was still around. I heard a lot about him as a kid, listening to old Iowa broadcasters like Jim Zabel and Frosty Mitchell talk about his wardrobe and his love of the Bucks.

Plant a buckeye in his honor. OSU is in mourning.

RIP The Dean of Central Ohio Sportscasters.

7. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

There was no schtick to Crum. He gave you facts and scores in a calm tone while his local competition seemed to be screaming at you sometimes. He will be missed. Always enjoyed listening to him and Phil Samp do Bengals radio.

RIP, Jimmy.

8. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

If Denny had died, I'd have to have a good cry with my autographed Denny Crum bobblehead!

RIP Jimmy, that's a hell of a coat. Wimp Sanderson would be proud.

9. In Exile

In Exile Member

On Dave Sorenson's hook shot: "Johnson & Johnson baby powder softness." A close game: "A real barnburner." Sort of a midwestern Johnny Most, great to grow up on.

Draft saved Draft deleted