1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP: Jim Steinman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by maumann, Apr 20, 2021.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Both excellent.

Newton-John and Lynne were smart enough to keep the vocals in their wheelhouse range. Let the music take care of the rest.

(Neither to be confused with Rush's "Xanadu," which was an entirely different track and also excellent.)

I Should Coco and maumann like this.
  2. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

my friend, go forth and bathe in the glory on youtube

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I want me some Manimal. And of course more Cop Rock.

4. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

ELO is great.

Neutral Corner and OscarMadison like this.
  5. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Funding for a Super Train reboot is in the Infrastructure package word on the street says

OscarMadison, dixiehack and garrow like this.
  6. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

I don’t know if I’m ready for that.

Machine Head likes this.
  7. Chet the Jet

Chet the Jet Member

Columbia U asst-SID Bill Steinman, long time fixture In morning side heights is older brother

8. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Anything past the third season? I remember seeing a lot of retreads. It seemed like the last half of the run, every character had a nervous collapse of some sort, went MIA, and was talked down by another character, and so on.

Just...no. At some point, actors and characters get too old for their original functions.

AKA SJ: The Trump Years.

9. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Don't know much about their pre-Tuna Fish days. Ridin' the Storm Out and 157 Riverside Dr. are great tunes. Keep Pushin' was a pretty good song from that era. I liked them most during their 80-82 commercial peak. Never saw them live til '85, but had front-row seats and got guitar picks from Bruce Hall and Cronin, the latter of which I dealt on site for a Gratzer drum stick, which I still have.

But man, have they produced nothing but schlock since Hi Infidelity. Just awful.

Captain_Kirk likes this.
  10. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Loved Hi Infidelity in the early ‘80s. Spun it a couple months ago for the first time in 30-some years. It did not hold up well.

garrow likes this.
  11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

REO Speedwagon is a friend’s favorite band, which I find kind of charming because she’s like 25 years old.

I assume her dad listened to them while she was growing up. I have no idea how else this could happen.

12. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Let's face it: Jeff Lynne is the Jesse Orosco of music producers. Produced albums for Brian Wilson, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, Roy Orbison, Del Shannon, Tom Petty, Dave Edmunds, Regina Spektor, Bryan Adams and Joe Walsh, but ELO holds the record for most Billboard top-10 singles without a No. 1 song.

He's a compiler producer.

2muchcoffeeman and FileNotFound like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted