1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP: Jim Steinman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by maumann, Apr 20, 2021.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I kind of fell into a Mick Ronson rathole on Youtube over the last couple of days. Ronson was David Bowie's guitarist early on, from "Man who Sold the World" through "Ziggy Stardust" and "Aladdin Sane", and he also did some arranging for him, strings and horns and the like. He worked with Lou Reed on "Transformer", co-producing with Bowie. Did four albums with Ian Hunter, including guitar on the original version of "Once Bitten, Twice Shy", an old favorite of mine. Worked with a bunch of people over the years, pulled "Jack and Diane" off the trash heap for John Mellencamp, played on "All the Young Dudes". Toured with Van Morrison and in Dylan's Rolling Thunder Review. Worked with and produced early solo Morrisey, including perhaps his best work, "Your Arsenal".

He did some solo albums, which proved that he was a much better guitarist and right hand man than front man. There is a lot of interview footage on his early days with Bowie as a Spider from Mars on Youtube. Died of cancer when he was in his mid-40's. Interesting cat and a solid player.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Little known Ronson fact: he morphed into a country music producer and picker, and became a frequent performer at writers nights at the famed (and overrated in this man’s opinion) Bluebird Cafe. In fact, on at least two occasions his pal David Bowie dropped by to hang with Ronson there while be was in town visiting his son, Duncan Jones, who was a student at Vandy.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    garrow and Neutral Corner like this.
  3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Including the Beatles, although I suspect Paul McCartney kept a pretty heavy thumb on the knobs during the Anthology sessions, and "Real Love," the last and best of their beyond-the-grave songs, stuck closest to John's original demo with a couple of solos by George layered on top.

4. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

I also fell into a Ronson rabbit hole a few weeks back. He was the one who suggested the hand claps and the “don’t let it rock, let it roll” bridge. The guy had some amazing talent.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Bluebird was one of those Nashville places I never made it to, scoffing that it was “too touristy.” Sometime after my rona lockdown ends next month I’m going to take a long weekend up there and indulge in all that crap I thought I was too cool for as a local-adjacent.

6. Neutral Corner

7. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

You suck. ELO Rulz!

Ok, ELO kind of sucks. But I enjoy them quite a bit. Something about symphonic compositions, mixing strings and synths, and cheesy pop hooks, and even disco beats for a while ... it was pure 70s. Much of which was awful, but also loveable. .

qtlaw and OscarMadison like this.
  8. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Also, to bring this full circle, I saw ELO in 1981. The opening act? Ellen Foley. She also sucked. Too bad that bailiff gig on Night Court didn't pan out better.

OscarMadison and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  9. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

The Night Court people wanted Markie Post all along, but she was working on Hearts Afire with John Ritter
    When that got canceled they dumped Foley for Post

10. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Hearts Afire was after Night Court. ... Post was on The Fall Guy before NC. She was the only redeeming thing on that show.

11. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Thanks

12. Neutral Corner

ELO got bogged into a production rut after while, but the first time I ever heard them was the "Roll Over, Beethoven" cut from ELO II that started with Beethoven's 5th, and that was fucking brilliant.

Draft saved Draft deleted