1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jim Huber

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Birdscribe, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

From a friend of mine who works for PGA.com in Atlanta.

Details still pending, but apparently, Jim went to the hospital over the weekend because he wasn't feeling well. He passed today.

RIP to one of the most brilliant, nuanced, elegant broadcasters on any network. I had the privilege of meeting Jim at one of the PGAs I worked. A nice, nice man who oozed class.

He emceed the annual Champions Dinner at the PGA Grand Slam of Golf and did it with style, intelligence and understated class. This is a huge loss for his family and a huge loss for golf AND sports fans.

2. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

RIP, always enjoyed listening to him on golf broadcasts.

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

This is so sad to hear. Huber was one of the good guys. I remember watching him, Nick Charles, Hickman, and the Sports Tonight crew on CNN back in the 80's.

I am heartbroken right now. First Nick and now Jim.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Fred Hickman has got to be getting nervous, what with the passings of Huber and Nick Charles among his former CNN sports cohorts.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I loved his voice. Makes me sad I won't hear it again.

Good essay here on Phil Jackson when the Zen Master retired.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Terrible loss. Loved him on Sports Tonight with Nick Charles, and he was great on golf, of course.

RIP.

7. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

The statement from TNT.

http://www.pga.com/news/pga/pgacoms-jim-huber-remembered

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Apparently he woke up on Christmas with a cough, went to the hospital, was diagnosed with acute leukemia on Wednesday and died today. Damn.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Sadly, he probably had symptoms before and ignored them. I don't think you just come down with leukemia one day.

10. Sammi

Sammi Member

A gifted storyteller with a lyrical style... his stories "sang." And echoing others, he was a true gentleman. Our industry got a little (more) dumbed down today.

RIP Jim.

11. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Huber did great reports and was one of golf's voices. RIP.

12. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Echoing all of the sentiments for what a great broadcaster and story teller he was on air.

RIP Jim; my thoughts with his family.

Draft saved Draft deleted