1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Jerome Bettis' father

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Nov 28, 2006.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Died of heart attack at age 61.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/football/2020AP_FBN_Obit_Johnnie_Bettis.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sad day for the Steeler family.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Sorry for your loss, Bus. RIP.

3. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

RIP Johnnie Bettis

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

It looks like he felt he was having a problem, so he somehow got his SUV to the side of the road, avoiding any possible accidents.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

without being an asshole, may i pose: why should anyone in the sports world care and why did this obit move on the national AP wire?

sad, yeah. the fact any person loses a father, mother, brother or sister is a sad thing, but it happens countless times a day all around the world. the guy coulda been a great human being -- which there are millions and millions of in the world -- but why would i include this even as a brief in my section?

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You may not put it in your section, but it may make it in Pittsburgh or Detroit and the surrounding areas. Since Bettis only retired last season and is an analyst for NBC, I think it justifies AP running a piece on it, even if it only serves certain areas.

7. Reasons you'd run it:

1. Bettis is the reigning Super Bowl MVP and still is high profile.

2. His parents got lots of play during the Super Bowl for attending every game he ever played, so the father was known to many.

3. Bettis has been a national name going back to college when he played for that most national of programs, Notre Dame.

4. Nobody is going to miss that brief on European soccer you would have run to fill the space anyway.

8. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Hines Ward is the reigning Super Bowl MVP

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The news made my paper today as a brief. The Notre Dame connection may have been a reason why for my paper (I'm in Indiana), but I agree that Bettis' parents have been rather high-profile with the SB win and that's reason enough too.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Here's hoping Jerome sheds some weight so he doesn't die that young.

11. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

I have to side the Tom Petty on this one. I'm from the school that unless a death of a close family member affects the possible contributions of an athlete in-season and in-game, then it isn't news. The Bus doesn't qualify.

12. stevenash

stevenash Member

yeah, should not go world wide news, should be for Pittsburgh only

Draft saved Draft deleted