1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP: Jefferson Pilot telecasts

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dixiehack, Aug 7, 2006.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

lol.

i watched the game a few days ago and the fans' reactions are priceless. but i so hate that game because kentucky had it won and seemingly gave up on that last play.

and, fuck rich brooks. i hope this is his last season in lexington.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Good stuff ...
    While working on the desk, I cheered the JP game. It meant an easy Saturday.
    While writing SEC, I cursed the JP game. It meant an early Saturday.
    The worst though was late in the season and the TV schedule wasn't set in stone. It would cause havoc on the travel schedules, but I'd rather do a JP game than the 8:45 ESPN2 kickoff.
    God those suck.
    But I guess the real question is, besides sportswriters, who actually listened to the Daves? I mean all the fans I know would listen to the game on the radio with the TV on mute.
    And much like this guy, I developed an odd fascination with JP games. Kind of like watching a guy get kicked inthe nuts, you know it hurt, but you couldn't look away. And as a fan of football, more often than not, the game was usually pretty good.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The name is changing, but are Dave, Dave and Dave still going to be doing the games?

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

What made it even better of course is that they only have maybe 10% of the day's Division I-A schedule, maximum, to keep up with because they start so damn early.

The Daves will be back. And listening to the radio feed is kind of hard if (1) you live out of state and (2) the Japanamation-style 10-second lag between the radio and the gerbil in the truck JP feed makes you seasick.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

JP used to handle a bunch of the big Eastern schools' games before the creation of the Big East. The production was hideous.

I've heard JP actually has some big-time money-making radio stations.

6. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Know what was even worse? In addition to the fact that they only had about 10% of the day's schedule to keep up with, THEY DIDN'T EVEN ATTEMPT TO FOLLOW ABOUT HALF OF THEM.

The scores, which were always brought to you in a 1989-era, break-in-the-action (or in JP's case, during-the-action) style, with each score flashed up on the screen individually and the scores repeated by one of the Daves. They covered FIVE -- at best. And one of the five was always a "big" one that was an hour away from start time but JP felt the need to plop it up there with 0s out beside each team.

I really hope the new owners don't try to monkey around with the production.

7. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

It will always be the JP game. LF. Pshah. I've actually got to make sure I don't write JP in one of my stories, though there's actually no reason to write it save for the game preview.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

And their ACC game usually wasn't one of the five. If it was, it got the same two-hour embargo treatment as everything else (as did the late-season split telecast opposite game, usually South Carolina vs. Clemson in a season where they couldn't combine for a pair of testicles between them.)

9. dog428

dog428 Active Member

The worst thing about the JP broadcasts -- and this won't change -- is if you live in a market in which the local CBS station also carries the JP games. That means that you waste away the first quarter and some of the second of the CBS game on the always magnificent ending of the JP matchup. Even worse is the fact that because JP is so far behind on scores, you've gotta switch to ESPN to get the updated scores from the CBS game EVEN THOUGH YOU'RE WATCHING A FREAKIN' CBS STATION.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

The singular reason I'm glad I don't live in the Central time zone: 11:30 a.m. kickoffs. It was bad enough getting up to watch a road game at 12:30, let alone actually getting to the stadium by then. I can't fathom having to be in the stadium — theoretically at least — at 11:30 in the morning.

Any San Jose State fans? :D

11. DyePack

DyePack New Member

There's nothing like a 9 a.m. tailgate, especially in November.

JP broadcasts are humorous when you're at a sports bar where you can see 7 or 8 games and know just how far behind the updates are.

12. markvid

markvid Guest

You sure you're not thinking TCS/Metrosports?

Draft saved Draft deleted