1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP: Jefferson Pilot telecasts

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dixiehack, Aug 7, 2006.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Well, not really, since they're just changing the sponsor name. But for every Southerner who has ever cursed "tha Jay Pee game" this is a fitting eulogy.

http://www.sportsline.com/spin/story/9589959

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Nooooooooo! They can't change the name! It won't be the same, dammit.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

That was an awesome column. JP existed so that Vanderbilt fans would not feel left out. Tho JP often got Vandy-Bama or Vandy-Florida, and those were often good games.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

Don't forget, JP had Kentucky-LSU a few years ago -- a game Turner South has shown about 40 times in the last six weeks. Dave Neal's call of the hail Mary touchdown included the fact that LSU scored, but left out all other information.

Still, Lincoln Financial sounds a little too dignified.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

:'( :'( :'( :'(

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I like the cutline that said "Without Jefferson Pilot, watching Kentucky football games will be eerily different."

Um...no one watches Kentucky football.

7. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Was just going to nominate that as the "Greatest JP Game Ever."

Of course the term "Greatest JP Game Ever" is a lot like "Greatest NIT Team Ever."

8. John

John Well-Known Member

I will stop and watch it every time it's on, just to see the Kentucky fans slowly realize that they lost. I'm not anti-Kentucky, I just love seeing their reactions. Would have been a hell of a day to be a photographer.

9. joe

joe Active Member

A wise man I once worked with said it best: You can't spell suck without UK.

10. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I don't know that I've ever read a more accurate sentence. God that used to drive me crazy. What was even better though was when they when to a highlight from another game and the highlight was three quarters old.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Thanks for checking in, Steve Superior. ;)

12. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

What a great game. I love how JP showed the replay of the Gatorade bath, then began with the most cliche question in all of buzzer-beating sports history: "I guess that's why a game is (so-so-) minutes long, huh?"  . Fucking JP. What an empire.

Draft saved Draft deleted