1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP James Rebhorn

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 23, 2014.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

2. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

I'm surprised he wasn't worth more than that considering how much he worked plus residuals. I was on a flight from Las Vegas to LA and Michael Lerner (short, heavyset "that guy" from a bunch of Coen Bros films among other things). He was a 20-something slob but wearing very expensive-looking clothes, sitting in first class, and was met at LAX by a smoking-hot blonde in her 20s. I can't imagine she was with him for his good looks and personality. And Rebhorn was far more recognizable.

Another underappreciated "that guy" -- G.D. Spradlin. I wonder if he and Rebhorn ever worked together.

3. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I always got Rebhorn confused with James Cromwell.

4. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Respected his work. I guess the first time I noticed him was that Nick Nolte/Julia Roberts movie, "I Love Trouble" or something similar. They were competing reporters; he a henchman for a corporate villain.

Especially enjoyed his role in "From The Earth To The Moon." Didn't he have a small role in "Basic Instinct?"

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Cromwell has done some amazing work, almost beyond "character actor" but
    my favorite role of his is still Archie Bunker's co-worker Stretch Cunningham.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, Cromwell is much better known than Rebhorn, but there are defininitely similarities.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

G.D. Spradlin was in Canadian Bacon - his work on that film has been documented on this board previously.

8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Good pull, Poin.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I always consider JT Walsh as the ultimate character actor.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I liked him as that shadowy General at beginning of Apocalypse Now:

"He's out there operating without any decent restraint, totally beyond the pale of any acceptable human conduct. And he is still in the field commanding troops. "

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Actually, besides Canadian Bacon :)the role I think of first is playing the sonofabitch basketball coach in One on One.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

"Nice one, Nurse!"

Draft saved Draft deleted