1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP James Rebhorn

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

One of the all-time "that guy" actors. Played the prosecutor in the Seinfeld finale, the automotive expert witness in "My Cousin Vinny," and, most recently, Claire Danes' father in "Homeland":

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/james-rebhorn-dead-homeland-white-690464

He was 65.

[​IMG]

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He was the guy who knew all the alien secrets in Independence Day, right?

Always thought he would have been perfect to play LAPD chief Daryl Gates.

3. John

John Well-Known Member

He also played the headmaster (or whatever) in Scent of a Woman. He's one of those guys that almost always was the stern, straight-laced type, or a dick.

4. joe

joe Active Member

65 is way too young.

5. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

He played an attorney and two different criminals on Law and Order... I know L&O used character actors a lot, but rare for them to play three different characters in the series.

6. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

RIP to another guy who was able to craft a great career though he wasn't a big star.

Also, going over his resume on IMDB (which is about a mile long), I realized where I first saw him: On "Guiding Light," my mom's favorite soap, as an evil stepfather.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, he was the guy who the president ended up firing.

Also was the annoying relative in Meet the Parents.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

First time I really paid much attention to him was in the 1997 Michael Douglas/David Fincher movie "The Game." Lots of good performances in that one.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Too bad he never teamed up with Chelcie Ross for a Dueling Tool-Off.

He was real good at his job. Always sold his roles.

From most indications, he was a pretty nice guy personally, so he wasn't just playing himself.

Too bad he died before the supposedly upcoming "Independence Day" sequel -- I had a hunch he was going to have a pretty major role in that one.

Penned his own obit. Worth a read:

http://www.vulture.com/2014/03/read-actor-james-rebhorns-self-written-obituary.html

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I always wonder how much money guys like that make in an average year. Recognizable, consistently good, used a lot, but not a star or a "name" actor on any level.

RIP

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Always confused Rebhord and Ed Lauter who also recently passed away. Two
    class "that guy" actors.
    Last I saw Rebhord he was not well. I believe he was bipolar.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Kind of like your journeyman baseball player who hangs around 12-15 years and makes pretty decent money without making all that fame.

Could be a Grantland bracket: Best Fringe TV Players.

Draft saved Draft deleted