1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP James Gandolfini

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Jun 19, 2013.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Re: WOW -- RIP James Gandolfini

Phil Collins: A1
    Billy Ocean: Briefs

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Maybe in London. No one gives a fuckshit about him here.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

James Gandolfini: A19

That's where the New York Times put it.

In fairness, there was a bottom-of-the-page refer. But to not have the obit start on A1 is an all-time swing-and-a-miss by the Grey Lady. I'm stunned. Amy Winehouse got A1.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Gandolfini had one of TV's most distinctive characters, for sure. But I think your post is more of a "WTF was Winehouse doing on A1?" thing.

5. Dick Whitman

The other one I remember thinking they missed badly with was not having Dan Wheldon's death on A1. They partially redeemed themselves by coming back with a next-day A1 piece on it.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's interesting when a celebrity death hits you hard...

George Carlin and John Ritter were both recent cases of this. When I saw this one this morning, it hit me in a similar way, especially since I had read something recently about how much healthier Gandolfini had gotten recently. That picture on TMZ definitely supports that.

Very sad. RIP.

7. Mizzougrad96

How late did this happen? It seems a no-brainer for A1, but as we all know, the time that it happens can impact this.

The fact that everybody is talking about nothing other than this is probably an indication that it should be a A1 story.

8. Mizzougrad96

He looks like he's lost 50+ pounds since The Sopranos was on. I read an article in the last couple weeks about actors who have lost a lot of weight recently and he was mentioned...

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Gandolfini was a silent partner in a krav maga center in one of the bigger towns we covered at the Trentonian.

Rick Murray wrote the story. Died shortly thereafter.

http://www.trentonian.com/article/20080119/TMP01/301199983/israeli-self-defense-school-educated-tony-soprano

10. Dick Whitman

Around 7.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Had no idea he had lost a lot of weight. Did he lose it quickly? Depending on the way you lose it, can't that be pretty rough on your system?

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

that early? i thought news broke later, around 9 or even later... no matter.

Draft saved Draft deleted