1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jack Tatum

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Did he "basically" say that?......or did he actually say that?.....Because I want to know what Grogan ACTUALLY said

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Tatum also had a shoulder pad/helmet in one of the most famous plays of all time:

[​IMG]

(Sorry if it's hard to see, I'm still learning this posting a photo stuff)

RIP Assassin.

3. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

He said it. Go to the 1:50 mark of this link:
    http://985thesportshub.cbslocal.com/2010/07/27/audio-this-is-a-man-who-wasnt-a-good-person/#more-35787

4. Thanks Boomer.....I appreciate that.....

For the record, the hit was clean and that's football....Not sure why his rep was so sullied in the years following the play

5. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

No problem.

6. Listening to Grogan roast Tatum after he's dead makes me wonder one thing: Why didn't he roast him when he was alive?......am I missing something?

7. And reading ESPN's story, it says that Tatum tried multiple times to reach out to Stingley, but he was turned away by his family....is this true?...if so, then Grogan's way out of line for his comments

8. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

From what I just heard on the radio, and I don't know if it's true or not so don't shoot the messenger, Tatum only tried to reach out when he was selling his book. And that's why Stingley wanted nothing to do with him. Apparently there was never an apology.

I grew up a Pats fan, and so did my dad. He hated the Raiders and Tatum, in particular. I think that just carried over, though I barely saw him. He could hit, but could he actually play? Break up passes, cover ground, etc?

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

In one of Madden's books, he said that Tatum had tried to visit Stingley in the hospital after the game, and that Stingley had been undergoing some therapy at the time and was unable to have visitors. Madden added that Tatum gave up trying to visit him after that one time.

10. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Sounds like Grogan did roast him in the book that the radio host (Mike Felger) wrote, based on what I heard during the show. Believe me, the ill will toward Tatum in Boston/New England hardly began today.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I've heard the same as the OP. Madden even mentions it in one of his books.

12. That's why I asked if I were missing anything. Because if this isn't the first time he's spoken out, then at least he did it like a man. Talking shit about someone when they die, without giving that person the chance to respond is what I had a problem with.

Draft saved Draft deleted