1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jack Mildren

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by pressboxer, May 23, 2008.

1. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Former OU quarterback who later became lieutenant governor died Thursday from stomach cancer. He was 58.

Mildren was probably best known as the quarterback when Chuck Fairbanks made the midseason switch to the Wishbone in 1970. Mildren was an All-American in 1971, when No. 1q Nebraska beat No. 2 Oklahoma 35-31 on Thanksgiving Day in what many still regard as the greatest college football game ever.

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Mildred was one of many players who helped put the OU-NU rivalry on the national map. Not only was he a great QB, but he went to become Oklahoma's Lt. Governor. He was doing a radio show with Versus' Ron Thulin up until his death last week.

What's interesting to point out is that Mildred was on the short end of three of the biggest moments in his life: his Abilene (TX) Cooper team lost to Austin (TX) Reagan when he was stopped on the 1-yard line at the gun; losing to NU in the Game of the Century; and losing the Governor's race.

Despite that, he went on to become successful after graduating from OU and Sooner Nation is in deep mourning.

3. Last year I watched an ESPN Classic show on the Game of the Century. They talked about OU's last chance at the end and Mildren overthrew an open receiver for what probably would have been the game-winning touchdown.
    Mildren said, "That ball was about five yards ahead of him, but each time I hear that story, he get closer and closer to catching it. The last time I heard it, it was just past his fingertips. I think maybe one day he'll catch that damned ball and we'll win the game."

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Wow - in all the football I've watched perhaps the greatest game ever. The Nebraska drive at end with Jeff Kinney carrying the load was a real gut check.

What I remember most about that game was match up between Rich Glover - NEB MG and OKA C Tom Brahaney - both All Americans - Glover ate Brahaney up.

Mildren was a great option QB - very smart

RIP

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

That Oklahoma team AVERAGED 472 rushing yards per game in 1971. I can say with reasonable certainty that that record will not be broken.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

That was an absolutely awesome game -- the whole country was pointing toward it for about half the season.

I wish we would have college games on Thanksgiving, or Thanksgiving Friday, again.

What are they afraid of -- taking on the Detroit Lions game?? ::) ::) :D :D

7. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

That Thanksgiving Day game, plus the ND/USC game a few years later with the great kick return and running by Ant.Davis sort of ingrained in me the importance (for me and in my life) of college football.
    The Thanksgiving game, for me, was memorable for the backs - Johnny Rogers and Greg Pruitt. But I was only 6 at the time.
    Still, I remember clearly us being in the new house and family sitting at, like, three tables spaced around the downstairs. That was a great, dramatic game.
    The 70s had lots of good college games and memories for me.
    ---------
    RIP Mr. Mildren

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Dan Jenkins wrote a wonderful piece for SI about the recruiting process featuring Mildren when he was a high school senior and the top prospect in Texas. It's in his collection "Saturday's America," long out of print, but check the local library, especially if you, as so many on this board are, a big college football fan.

9. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Texas A&M v. Texas is moving back to Thanksgiving this coming season after having been on Friday for years.

10. SlickWillie71

SlickWillie71 Member

RIP to the Godfather of the wishbone. I only wished I could have run it as well as he did in my Jr. High days......

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Did not read at the time but Dave Kindred had a lead the pretty much summed up the game:"They can quit playing now, they have played the perfect game."

I would love to get a tape of that game. Rich Glover might have played the most dominant defensive football game I've ever watched.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There is almost universal agreement with Boom's point that Glover had a fabulous game. OU scored 31 anyway. Mildren ran a pretty good offense.

Draft saved Draft deleted