1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jack Layton

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HC, Aug 22, 2011.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Can't tell you how shocked I was when this was announced this morning. To me, he WAS the NDP.

2. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

And he still is. Awful news for the country. I think this was in the back of my mind when he said he had to leave but to die so soon after is still a huge shock.

About the only good thing about this for the NDP is that they have a while before the next election. They have time to find a new leader and let that person gain some political momentum.

What a sad day.

3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

And he left this for us: http://beta.images.theglobeandmail.com/archive/01310/Jack_Layton_s_lett_1310744a.pdf

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

He never gave up his ideals about making this a better country for all Canadians. Even people who disagreed with Jack's philosophy of social democracy had to admire his honest, decency and integrity.

Here's the letter he wrote the day before he died: to his party, to his caucus, to cancer sufferers and to all Canadians.

http://beta.images.theglobeandmail.com/archive/01310/Jack_Layton_s_lett_1310744a.pdf

RIP, Jack.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Wow, that's a coincidence!

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Great minds and all that

7. spurtswriter

spurtswriter Member

He's one who got into politics for the right reasons. He wanted to help. Just a class guy. Great integrity and passion. He will be missed.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

]

Powerful.

9. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Call him what you will, but a champion for the poor and marginalized who will be missed.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

What happens with the NDP? I assume the current interim leader won't stand a chance at being chosen as the permanent leader.

11. RagingCanuck

RagingCanuck Guest

Although she was never meant to. Accepting the tag of interim leader generally comes with a tacit acceptance that you won't run for the main job.

12. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I saw some video of his announcement of the second cancer, and whatever it was, it must have been bad - in a matter of weeks, he looked very drawn and his voice was noticeably thinner.

Draft saved Draft deleted