1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jack Kemp

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Good Doctor, May 2, 2009.

1. I question the timing.

2. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

I'll always remember him for being a part of the most gentlemanly presidential election I can think of. (Unfortunately, probably the last one.)

That said a lot about his character, even if I wouldn't have voted for him and Dole. (Too young to register.)

RIP.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

What an incredible life he led, no matter what I thought of his politics.

RIP.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

My first real sports hero, one of my favorite all-time Bills, and one of the greatest all-time AFL players, for his playing and his work off the field with the players' union.

There's a great photo of him after the 1964 championship game, surrounded by the fans on the field, in team photographer Robert Smith's history of the Bills. The Buffalo News will be a keepsake edition today, I'll be interested to read what Larry Felser writes.

His finest hour might have been when he threatened to lead a boycott of the AFL all-star game if the black players couldn't stay in the same hotel as the white players in 1964 or 1965, I think; the incident was resolved.

He was my family's congressmen for many years, one of the few Republicans I've ever voted for, and we always got a Christmas card from his office.

RIP, Jack, one tough guy and a great team leader. As has been said, I bet every living ex-teammate who can make it will attend his services. Even Cookie, who doesn't do anything unless it benefits Cookie.

Buffalo News obituary, the lead story in the paper, as well it should be:

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/659405.html

5. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Here's one who definitely will be there, because he owes Kemp his life: Doug Goodwin

And, of course, Kemp was the one who brought Gilchrist back to the team when Lou Saban tried to waive him during the 1964 championship season, after Gilchrist had refused to play the second half of a game against Boston. He went to Cookie's house and convinced him to apologize to his coaches and teammates, then talked Saban into giving him another chance.

Looking at the News' Web site, nothing from Felser -- although there were some rumblings earlier in the afternoon, the news didn't break here until after 10 p.m. I'm sure he'll have something soon, though. Here's what they did have today:
    Jack Kemp, Bills icon, congressman, dies
    Inside the News: Jack Kemp, a Buffalo champion

Only the AP story ran in the D+C, but their former columnist, Scott Pitoniak, posted about Kemp on his blog:
    http://scottpitoniak.blogspot.com/2009/05/tribute-to-late-bills-qb-jack-kemp.html

6. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Never heard of the guy. [/Angola!]

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

When I was in the 10th grade, we had to do book reviews in our history class (which was taught by former Angels shortstop Gary DiSarcina's father). One of the books I reviews was Kemp's An American Renaissance.
    What I remember about it the most was how good a job Kemp did explain is economic philosophy and making it easy to understand, even for a 10th-grader who didn't know a lot about economics.
    I ended up getting an A on that report.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Elbert and Kemp were always good AFL cards to get ... those longer cards.

9. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Had Bush 1 beat Clinton for re-election....Hillary Clinton would have never been more than a first lady of Arkansas and Bush II-Gore in 2000 might never have happened because Kemp could have been seeking re-election. Imagine how history would have been altered.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Man. You guys win five of seven elections and you're wistfully wondering what could have been. You're worse than Yankees fans.

11. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Just sayin'.

12. The man was all class.
    http://www.kemppartners.com/about-jack-kemp/column/a-letter-to-my-grandchildren/

Draft saved Draft deleted