1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Jack Falla

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dan Hickling, Sep 14, 2008.

1. maberger

maberger Member

the bacon street omni was jack's field of dreams, though even he would say not as legendary a place as the forum or maple leaf gardens.
    although i worked with him in his brief tenure at the NHL, i didn't know jack deeply. but he always seemed to be a sweet man with optimism and enthusiasm, a gentle wit and a big laugh, and no strain of cynicism or bitterness.

2. jimmydangles

jimmydangles Member

Tributes from two of Jack's former students:

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/extras/bruins_blog/2008/09/goodbye_to_grea.html

http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/wilbur/2008/09/15/rip_jack_falla/

3. Jack Falla was a wonderful person, a great teacher, and a fantastic writer. I was lucky enough to have him as a professor at BU, and I'll always remember the advice he gave me. On writing and on life, though the latter was done inadvertently. Falla was not one to preach, and he certainly never told me how to live my life -- but the obvious joy he got from his couldn't help but influence me. And it won't stop influencing me, even now.

There's a reason I said he was a wonderful person first, teacher second and writer third. He knew what really mattered, and it definitely wasn't who won the game the night before.

May he rest in peace.

4. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

By far my favorite and most influential professor at BU. His classes were the only two I enjoyed getting up early for. Someone who touched a lot of people in his life. May his memory be a blessing.

Draft saved Draft deleted