1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Ingmar Bergman and Tom Snyder

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by D-3 Fan, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Always liked Snyder...

RIP for both...

2. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I recently watched Snyder interview Howard Stern and wow, I've never seen Snyder get that flustered before.

I loved watching Snyder's interviews though, he was thoughtful and incisive with his guests and it made for a good talk show.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

One of my favorite momentos is an autographed picture of Tom Snyder.
    I used to send his show e-mails and he would read them on the air, that was back in like '96 when e-mail was a new fangled gadget and I strongly suspect I was one of only a few that sent in e-mail.
    One day I got an e-mail asking for my physical address and a few days later I got the picture.

4. part-timer

part-timer Member

I, too, have an autographed picture from Snyder. When I worked in the collectibles biz, I would send him some stuff because he a baseball fan, etc. and he sent me back the photo and a coffee mug. I think he used to do Tomorrow from the same studios in Philadelphia Mike Douglass did his show.

Also sorry to see Bergman lost his chess match.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

David Brenner was a TV producer in Philly before he got into stand-up. He and Snyder worked at KYW-TV together on documentaries and became good friends.

"Tomorrow" came from 30 Rock in NY and the NBC studios in Burbank. It was never done from Philly on a regular basis.

"Tomorrow" was exceptional until NBC started tweaking it. Most nights it was Snyder in his cloud of cigarette smoke, doing an hour of gimmick-free conversation with interesting people. I discovered Harlan Ellison through his "Tomorrow" appearances.

When he did the CBS show, I used to love the slice of life observations he did at the beginning of the show, often regarding "Mother Snyder" or "the companion."

Thanks, Tom.

6. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

Tom first told my favorite baseball joke on the Late, Late Show after Letterman.

A Scotsman goes to his first baseball game and his buddy is explaining the rules to him. After seeing the guys hit the ball and run, he's puzzled why the batter is just walking to first base.

"That's a walk," the buddy explained. "He has four balls."

The Scotsman leaps from his seat and yells: "Walk with pride, man!"

RIP

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Interesting take from Newsday's Verne Gay:

http://weblogs.newsday.com/entertainment/tv/blog/2007/07/verne_gay_on_tom_snyder.html

8. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Very nice touch in your homage to Seventh Seal.
    Of course, nothing tops Martin Short as Jerry Lewis in "Scenes From an Idiot's Marriage," a great SCTV send up of Bergman AND Jerry Lewis at the same time.
    And Snyder was one of the great interviewers. I always seemed to get something out of his show. Can't say that for most TV fare now.

9. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Godspeed, Tom. Let's all fire up the colortinis and watch the pictures as they fly though the air.

10. Colton

Colton Active Member

RIP, Mr. Snyder.

11. Bergman, Snyder and Bill Walsh: quite a trifecta. RIP

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Nice little tribute to Snyder at the end of the Late Late Show.
    It was good stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted