1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Hoosier (RCA) Dome

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bob Cook, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The Hoosier Dome goes down:

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=videonetwork&videoID=972814613

Aesthetically, it was a faceless, awful dome. But it hit just as I, and the city of Indianapolis, was doing a lot of growing up. It was the first place I worked a major pro event as a journalist (a Colts game, at age 16, with Gary Hogeboom being the first players I talked to). I saw one of U2's two appearances as the Dalton Brothers, a mock country act they pulled out because Los Lobos' plane was late in arriving. I saw Jerry Rice there -- as a collegian. I saw Bruce Springsteen play an hourlong encore after the house lights went up. I went to a Genesis show with a girlfriend who became my ex in between when we bought the tickets and when we went. (Awkward!) I saw and covered a lot of pro and college sports there in my formative years. Heck, it was the site of my college graduation.

When I was at Lucas Oil Stadium for the first regular season game, it saddened me to see the RCA Dome with the logos off, surrounded by keep-out fencing. I grew up with a downtown Indianapolis bookended by Market Square Arena and the Dome, and it's weird to see them both gone.

2. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

Was only there once, for a Kentucky-Indiana basketball game. The only good part about it was seeing the arena split exactly in half, red and blue. Not exactly the best basketball atmosphere.

3. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Covered an NCAA first-round game there. It was a cold and lifeless dome, like most of the older domes.

A lot of big games, basketball and football, were played there, though.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

No biggie. Just make sure you shouted the words to "Throwing It All Away" or "Land of Confusion." Add in "That's All."

Then leave her before "Turn It On Again."

5. Covered a lot of football and basketball games there, including some Final Fours. It ranked as one of the best two Final Four venues, with the Superdome the other. Nobody else came close.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

It stole my football team.

7. lono

lono Active Member

The Hoosier Dome was the site of the late, great Danny Federici's last performance with Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I guess heaven needed an antiquated dome.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Damn straight.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I saw Rocket Ismail compete in the NCAA indoor meet there many years ago.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Actually, that was at Conseco.

12. lono

lono Active Member

I stand corrected. Good catch, Starman.

Draft saved Draft deleted