1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Hideki Irabu

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by secretariat, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Maybe he was doing a David Carradine.

2. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

MLB Network's crawl tonight didn't mention suicide and said he "passed away." Don't think the euphemism works for this one.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Just what you'd expect from the ultimate Fat Toad, at full arrogant bellow.

There isn't enough lipstick in the world . . .

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Good thing that SI lets its top baseball writer work for such an unbiased, hard-hitting news source.

My wife and I always clash on the "passed away" thing. She doesn't understand why I find it to be nails on the chalkboard. She thinks its "tactful" and "comforting" and that I'm being very cold when it comes to using "died." Drives me absolutely bonkers because she's, in almost all other ways, a very straight forward, no. b.s. kind of girl.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

What should the crawl have said?

Hideki Irabu's lifeless body found hanging from rope in Los Angeles home.

Kurt Cobain shoots himself in the face.

John Bonham drowns in his own vomit.

Michael Hutchence/David Carradine found hanging with their dicks in their hand.

Sometimes euphemisms are necessary.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

"Died."

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I have no problem with "found dead" or "died"

I agree "passed away" is probably not the way to go when someone dies unexpectedly.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I never understood it either until my dad died, and for weeks I had an enormously difficult time telling (or even writing in an email) people that my dad "died." Somehow, "passed away" was so much easier to get through. I don't know if that should govern how a news outlet chooses to present it, but there is certainly an inexplicable emotional difference between the two phrases.

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Irabu went to the Expos after New York and I covered spring training while he was there. It was the oddest thing: He sat down on the mound while the rest of the pitchers stood and listened during fielding drills.

He just seemed so aloof and out of place. Didn't know about the "outsider" stuff. Interesting.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, that comment really motivated Irabu into a Hall of Fame pitcher. More George stupidity.

Frankly, if I was Irabu, I would have gone over and punched Steinbrenner out after saying that.

Draft saved Draft deleted