1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Hideki Irabu

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by secretariat, Jul 28, 2011.

1. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

Found dead in his LA apartment. Believed to have hanged himself.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I feel bad that the first thing that came to mind was about 100 different jokes...

RIP...

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

He'd had a lot of personal problems in recent years, including a couple of drunken arrests. I hate to think that this stems from his failure in the major leagues, but it probably does.

Here's a link:

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/28/hideki-irabu-found-dead-suicide-suspected/

4. Glad I wasn't the only one ...

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Oh my God. That's absolutely terrible.

I was almost prepared to make a joke when I saw your headline. Now I feel bad for even thinking like that.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Oh, and I now see I wasn't alone.

Still, fuck.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You gotta admit, though, "Fat Toad" might have been Steinbrenner's best work.

8. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Was once traded for Jake Westbrook, like half of all the guys who ever played Major League Baseball.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I believe he was multiracial. Olney said in his book it contributed to a feeling of not belonging.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The day after his major-league debut, I was driving somewhere where I couldn't listen to Stern and I was listening to Imus. They were doing what sounded like a professional new report of the game and then they said, "When asked about his performance, Irabu said..."

Then there was a guy with a ridiculous Japanese accent saying, "Oh you no match for me roundeye!!!"

It was horrible. I laughed my ass off.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

.......when asked if he would consider playing for the Padres upon arriving in America, Irabu replied, "no, no, no" [cross-thread]

12. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

The pressure this guy must have felt coming over here must have been intense. RIP Hideki

Draft saved Draft deleted