1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Hammer Pants' family pet

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Hammer Pants, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Thought I would share a bittersweet holiday story with you guys and gals.

One of our beloved family pets passed away today. He was a black cat with white feet named Avery who lived nearly two decades. I’ve loved him like hell since my parents got him for me when I was 10 years old, and I miss him like hell today. He slept in my bed every night until I left my parents’ house for college, and he hurried inside nearly every time I visited during and after college.

My mom called me a few weeks ago and told me Avery wasn’t doing well. He’d started using the bathroom in the house — something he’d never done — and he was spending nights curled up next to the fireplace downstairs.

Mom kept telling me Avery might not make it until Christmas, but I convinced her to wait and let me see him one more time. I came home for Christmas and held him a little, because he looked like hell and definitely couldn’t do anything else. He went upstairs a few days ago and couldn’t get back down, so we moved his food and water up there and let him feast for his final few days.

I said a final goodbye last night before heading back to my house, and my mom took him to the vet today knowing there was a solid chance she’d drive back alone. Sure enough, the vet quickly decided it was time, and he left the room to get the necessary equipment.

But Avery died before the vet came back in the room. He looked at my mom, made a couple of loud noises and closed his eyes. He died on his own terms, like he’d always seemed to live his long life. My younger brother called me a few hours ago, laughing and crying his way through the story. My dad — a dog man who called Avery “the only cat I’ve ever liked” — said he was especially proud.

Here is a small picture of my man Avery from Christmas. He looked tired. I hope he feels better now.

I’m very thankful that I made it home to see him for a few days. It was one of the best Christmas presents I’ve ever received.

Thanks to anyone who read this. It’s been a tough day for this animal lover, and writing this made me feel a little better.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Our sincerest condolences, Hammer. That's awful, though the silver lining seems to be that he went on his own terms.

sportschick will be by with Rainbow Bridge soon. Take care, Hammer ...

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Had a very similar situation in our family recently, and it breaks your heart. You gave him a good home and wonderful life.

Hail to Avery, who will always be fondly remembered.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

RIP Avery. And I pray for peace for you, Hammer.

I can't read that "Rainbow Bridge" poem without choking up.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Hammer, man, I'm feeling for you.

I just brought my cat back from the folks place last night. He acted like he didn't remember me, which was enough to break my heart.

Then, this morning, while I was having coffee, he jumped up on the couch next to me and curled himself up to take a nap. And, before he went to sleep, he stretched his paw all the way out and put it on top of my hand.

It was all I could do not to cry.

Hang in there, man.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

The Rainbow Bridge You will cry, and that's good thing HP. Losting a pet, especially one that's been with you that long is incredibly hard. My old guy went in a very similar manner a few years back when he was 22, although he fought the vet till the end.

RIP Avery, and may you stay full of stinky fish and catnip until it's time to see HP again.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sorry, Hammer.

Glad that you and your cat had a lot of good times together.

Personally, I don't know how I would handle putting a pet "out of its misery."

I don't know if I could do it if it wasn't in obvious considerable pain.

8. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

That was the only way we could, too. I've loved every cat and dog I've owned, including the current ones, but he had a special place. I would have taken him with me after college, and my parents would have been OK with it ... but I travel a lot, and he'd lived in one house for several years, so I didn't do it.

But it was obviously time, as his trip to the vet showed.

My roommates and I have a small petting zoo between the three of us in this house, and my girlfriend will probably get a cat at her new place, but I'll still miss my little man. It's probably a good thing that I'm going out of town for a bit...

9. My condolences to you and your family on your beloved pet. Be thankful that he went on his own terms. Both of my mom's dogs had to be put down. I can definitely sympathize with you. If I could have taken the male dog when I moved out, I would have. I, like you, have a special place in my heart for those dogs. Be thankful for the wonderful memories you have.

10. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

I'm so sorry to hear the news HP. Thanks for sharing. It's pretty dusty in here.

RIP Avery. :'( :'( :'(

11. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Sorry, H_P.

We had to put our family dog down when I was a sophomore in college. I still remember watching him get in the car with my dad, happy as could be because he loved taking rides.

I was a mess the whole rest of that week, and still miss him.

My thoughts go out to you.

12. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Sorry to hear that, Hammer.

Draft saved Draft deleted