1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Hal Levy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Varsity845, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Varsity845

Varsity845 New Member

The crowd on here with connections to Connecticut surely knew Hal Levy, longtime executive sports editor of the Shoreline Times.

Ken Lipshez in New Britain told me this morning that Hal passed away Thursday of liver cancer.

He gave a lot of journos a chance, and always made sure we had a courtside table. Condolences to his family.

-- Matt Pepin

2. uconn98

uconn98 New Member

I knew this day was coming, but it still is just too bad. Everything happened so quickly. I remember first noticing in March that he was in some sort of pain, and he told a couple of us in April he had liver cancer.

I went to a benefit dinner for him a couple of weeks ago and I think he was incredibly touched to see the hundreds of people who came out.

God speed, Hal.

Brian Girasoli
    Norwich Bulletin

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Wow. I worked pretty closely with Hal on a number of projects back in the early '80s when he was in charge of a Conn. sportswriters group. Good guy and a true friend of all of the state's sportswriters. RIP.

4. uconn98

uconn98 New Member

Indeed, the Connecticut Sports Writers' Alliance. I'm president of the organization now and have been a part of it for almost 10 years. Hal certainly gave the CSWA his all and cared deeply about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted