1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Gump Worsley

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Jan 28, 2007.

1. One of the greatest positional goalies of all time. From failing hands we throw, the torch etc.
    RIP, Gumper. A bientot.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

A true star on some horrendous Rangers teams of my youth...and an entertaining, quirky guy.

RIP Gumper.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
    Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
    We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
    In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
    To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
    We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
    In Flanders fields.

So long to one of the great goalies and greater people in this world...

4. I sit corrected.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Wow, he was still playing in the NHL at 45!!

6. I remember his autobiography "They Call Me Gump" was the first hockey-related book I ever read in my youth, and I got a sense that he was an entertaining guy and obviously a damn good goalie. May he rest in peace.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

My dad went to the old MSG (50th Street and 8th Avenue) and watched monumentally bad Rangers hockey for a decade. The only reasons he went were to see "Andy Bathgate, Harry Howell and Gump Worsley."

[​IMG]

8. Gold

Gold Active Member

The Rangers with Gump Worsley were my first memory of hockey. Of course, when they traded him for Jacques Plante, they didn't get better and Montreal won Stanley Cups. Then Montreal jerked him around, and he went on to help the North Stars. Always liked Gump Worsley, and hope there's a bar in heaven.

9. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

On a shelf in my office I have a Holiday card from one of the teams Gump played on. Team picture with Gump in his brown Cooper gear. RIP.

(Wasn't it Andy Bathgate who hit Plante in the face with a shot during a game, causing Plante to put a mask on to finish the game?)

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Think he's hanging out with Jacques Plante, Terry Sawchuk and Pelle Lindberg?

11. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr Beat,

Good news: I see Harry Howell around rinks in the O and A and he looks like he could still play ... 'course he looked like he was 55 when he won the last preOrr Norris.

YHS, etc

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

FOTF:

Maybe the Rangers could give him a call. Surely, he can't be any worse than Malik.

Draft saved Draft deleted