1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Gump Worsley

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Jan 28, 2007.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

2. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

I was in Windsor a few years ago watching Much Music, the MTV of Canada. There was this "behind the scenes" show with Faith No More who was touring in Montreal. They did a concert in the Forum and their dressing room was a dump. They demanded better accomodations, so the Forum folks opened up the old Canadiens dressing room to them and they were awestruck. Like 10-year-old boys.

And I'll never forget, one of the members was standing in the shower and said, "Dude, Gump Worsley washed his balls in here."

RIP.

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Lou Nanne, one of his former teammates, said something of him I doubt you'd hear today:

Somehow, I can't imagine Martin Brodeur chain-smoking between periods.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

A legend and a gentleman. RIP Gumper.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

When I first started covering, I was amazed at the number of players who smoked while in uniform. Baseball players would come up through the tunnel to the dugout and ditch their smoke right before they hit the dugout steps. I can remember sidebarring on an NHL playoff series and Mike Palmateer couldn't answer any questions until he got his smoke going. Lemieux used to smoke when he first came to the NHL. He finally stopped because he was developing bronchitis a lot.

6. One of my childhood heroes. Always loved the fact he looked nothing like an athlete, and he never wore a mask, as if saying, "I double-dare you, you pucking bastard!"

RIP.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

So long, crewcut. Game was more fun, with you in it.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

With a real first name like Lorne, Gump wasn't so bad as a nickname. When he was paired with Caesare Maniago in Minnesota, it was the best-named goalie combo in league history. R.I.P.

9. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

He wore a mask in his last season.

10. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Truly a legend.

My two favorite Gump stories are:

When a reporter accused him of having a beer belly, The Gumper replied, "Beer, hell. That's all V.O."

And when he was playing for the Rangers, someone asked him which NHL team gave him the most trouble, and he said, "the Rangers."

RIP.

11. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Talked to him at the Hall of Fame a few years back. Pretty tiny guy, but he looked (facially) exactly like his hockey card. Mrs Gump sorta looked like his hockey card too,

What a freakin' nickname ... they just don't do it anymore.

RIP

YHS, etc

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

A friend of mine's father knew the trainer for the North Stars. When they played at the Aud he went in for a practice and the Gumper gave him an autographed goalie stick, which my friends subsequently gave to me because he didn't play backyard shinny. It was forever know as the "Gump stick" and I think we still have it someplace, nearly 40 years later.

RIP, and thanks for the memories.

Draft saved Draft deleted