1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Gordon Hinckley

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deskslave, Jan 27, 2008.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

BC-APNewsAlert,0030
    SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Gordon B. Hinckley, president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, has died at age 97.

Big deal in some parts.

2. Thanks for posting, Deskslave. I was just preparing to do the same.

A few Mormons floating around here, myself included, to whom this will mean a great deal. Between his actual 12-plus years as the head of the church -- and, he basically was also the head for the last part of Ezra Taft Benson's time as the prophet -- President Hinckley has basically been the only leader we've know for some 20 years.

RIP to a great man.

3. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

Amen SportsHack.

It will be very strange not to see him at the April General Conference.

What a wonderful reunion he is now having with his wife.

God be with you 'till we meet again...

4. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

That's why Howard W. Hunter was so important. Even though his time was fleeting, for so many people, it was the first time they had actually seen the president of the church speak.

5. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

For that reason, above all, I am happy for him. Yes, I am sad for my own selfish reasons, but I know how much he loved his wife, and it's wonderful for both of them that they have now been reunited.

6. I couldn't agree more with both your posts, Colbert.

It's just going to feel a little bit strange for a while to say "The Prophet" and be referring to someone who isn't President Hinckley.

7. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

Question from a non-Mormon:
    How does the church go about selecting a president? Do they do the same thing the Catholics do in selecting a Pope? (bunch of church leaders get together and pray and politic) Or is there a hierarchy in place?

8. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

The Quorum of the 12 Apostles will convene, discuss, pray and unanimously select the church's new leader. The quorum will lead the church in the interim.

9. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

The Quorum is like the College of Cardinals, I take it?

10. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

With the death of President Hinckley, the First Presidency is now dissolved, and the remaining counselors (Thomas S. Monson and Henry B. Eyring) revert back to their original positions within the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles based on seniority.

After the funeral, the Quorum will meet together to fast and pray about who the next Prophet and President of the church should be. We believe that this will be made manifest to the Quorum by inspiration and revelation.

Once the new Prophet has been identified and is sustained by all 14 members of the Quorum, the Prophet will then prayerfully select his two counselors. They will make up the First Presidency.

In the past, the next prophet has been the ranking member of the Quorum of the Twelve, which in this case is Thomas S. Monson.

There is no set timetable for a new First Presidency to be named.

11. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Thank you. Much better than my effort to explain.

12. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Any chance they'll name Mitt Romney?

Draft saved Draft deleted